Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I was racing through the woods, tears blurring my vision, replaying the image of Hope's smiling face as she danced with Penelope. Panic gripped my chest, making it hard to breathe. Branches and undergrowth slapped at me as I stumbled forward, unable to see where I was going.

And then I collided with someone, the impact jolting me. Time seemed to slow down as I struggled to catch my breath.

"You alright?" a refined British accent, soft and soothing, reached my ears. A steadying hand gently touched my arm.

I blinked, trying to focus through my tears. When my vision cleared slightly, the first thing I saw was the Mikaelson pendant. I jerked my head up, expecting to see Hope, but instead, I met Hope's younger sister, Edith Mikaelson.

Edith was tall, even taller than me, which is saying something. Her long black hair framed a face with striking blue-green eyes that were fixed on me with concern.

"You're Elizabeth, right? Hope's girl?" Edith asked, her voice carrying an old-world elegance.

That gave me pause. 'Elizabeth.' That's what Hope called me.

"No," I replied, furiously wiping at my tears. "Not anymore."

Edith's eyes softened with understanding. "I see."

I took a shaky breath, still trying to steady myself. "What are you doing here?" I asked, my voice wavering. "You don't go to the Salvatore School." To my knowledge, only Hope, Faith, Alynore and Beau attended the Salvatore School.

"Ah, well. Gabriel and I have recently transferred here. Our previous school... spontaneously combusted."

I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at that. "Spontaneously combusted?"

"Yep," Edith said with a touch of dry humour. "Unfortunate, but it has led us here."

I took that in, still feeling the aftershocks of my panic, but somehow, Edith's presence was helping me find my footing again.

"Why are you running so desperately?"

I glanced away, trying to compose myself. "Just needed to get away," I muttered. "Needed to breathe."

Edith nodded, her gaze still kind and patient. "Understandable. Would you prefer to be alone?"

I wanted desperately to say yes, but the smell of her cologne, the warmth she provided, the familiarity... "Um... no, if you wouldn't mind staying," I said quietly.

"I don't mind at all," Edith replied with a small smile.

I nodded, taking a few more deep breaths. For the first time that night, I felt a glimmer of calm.

"Would you like me to walk you to your dorm?" Edith offered, her tone gentle.

I hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "Yeah, that would be nice."

We walked in silence, the cool night air helping to clear my mind. Edith's presence was steady and reassuring, and I found myself feeling a bit more grounded with each step.