4 | 𝒂𝒏 𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒇𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅

𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆: 𝐖𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐲 𝐃𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐫𝐲

...🫀...

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓, 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐑𝐊

𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟕

𝐈 𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐮𝐩 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐲 𝐛𝐮𝐧, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐥𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐛𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐈 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐝.

The loft felt too quiet today, the silence pressing in from all sides. I moved through the house, searching under the couches and chairs. I frowned, making kissing sounds as I searched for my cat.

"Willow," I called out into the empty apartment.

A tiny meow echoed from under the coffee table, and I smiled, relieved. I reached down and grabbed the tiny black furball with piercing green eyes.

"There you are," I said, cradling Willow against my chest.

Just as Willow started to purr, the doorbell rang, slicing through the quiet. I got up, still holding Willow against my chest, and headed for the door. Each step felt like an eternity, the anxiety building as I approached. 

I pulled it open, frowning at the sight of a woman with long black curls pulled into a ponytail, her eyes a warm but uncertain brown.

"Hi," she said, her voice gentle yet carrying an undercurrent of apprehension.

"Hi," I replied, my own uncertainty matching hers. I tightened my grip on Willow, who squirmed slightly in my arms.

"I'm looking for Ben," she continued, her eyes darting past me as if expecting him to appear any moment.

I opened my mouth to respond, but a sudden, sharp pain shot through my chest. My heart pounded erratically, a wild drumbeat that left me dizzy. I blinked rapidly, trying to steady myself as the familiar rush of blood to my head made everything spin.

"Are you okay?" the woman asked, her frown deepening with concern.

I stumbled back, nearly dropping Willow. Placing her gently on the couch, I gripped the back of the couch, squeezing my eyes shut, willing the lightheadedness to pass. My breaths came in shallow gasps, each one a struggle.

"Hey, breathe," the woman said softly, stepping closer.

I opened my eyes and looked at her, seeing genuine worry etched on her face. "He's...in...the gym," I managed to say before my legs gave out beneath me.

"Oh, I've got you," she said, quickly moving to catch me. Her arms wrapped around me, steadying me as she carefully lowered me to the floor.

I blinked up at the ceiling, my vision swimming. Everything felt like it was slipping away, and I struggled to focus on her face.