2 | 𝒃𝒓𝒖𝒏𝒄𝒉 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 ( 𝐓𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐕𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧) 𝐛𝐲 𝐓𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐨𝐫 𝐒𝐰𝐢𝐟𝐭

...🫀...

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓, 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐑𝐊

𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟕

𝐕𝐈𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐓

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐜 𝐩𝐮𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐦𝐲 𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐛𝐮𝐝𝐬, 𝐚 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐲𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐡𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐦 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐡𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭.

Brooklyn was quiet on Sunday mornings, the usual hustle and bustle replaced by a serene calm. I relished these early runs, a time to clear my mind and feel free, if only for a little while.

I stopped before my dad's boxing gym, breathing heavily as I pulled open the door and stepped inside. The familiar scent of sweat and leather greeted me. I grabbed a rag to wipe off the sweat from my face and neck, then headed to my dad's office. My water bottle sat in the mini fridge, and I eagerly reached for it.

Turning around, I stopped short.

Isabella stood in the doorway, looking slightly out of place in her designer blue blouse and skirt amidst the worn gym equipment. Her outfit's sharp lines and rich fabric clashed with the rugged, sweat-stained environment.

"Isabella?" I asked, surprise evident in my voice.

"You never told me your dad was the Benjamin Gray," she said, a hint of awe in her voice.

I set my water bottle down on my dad's desk. "You follow boxing?"

She nodded, her eyes dropping to her feet. "I used to watch it with my dad...before he died."

The air grew heavy with her words.

"Anyway," she said, shaking off the moment, "since we're friends..."

"Okay?" I prompted, unsure where this was going.

"I need a plus one for this brunch. Bart Bass is hosting it for his foundation," she explained.

I cocked my head, skepticism creeping in. "Why me?"

"Because my brother will be there with his friends, and to be honest, his friends are..."

"Assholes," I finished for her, a smirk tugging at my lips.

"That's putting it kindly," she agreed, laughing.

I chuckled, feeling the tension ease slightly. "So, will you go?" she asked, hope lighting up her eyes.

I hesitated. "I don't know...I'm supposed to answer the phones for my dad today."