Kabanata 10

Kabanata 10 |  Cupcakes

I was busy reading when I heard a knock. I have this habit of reviewing lessons a week or two before an exam. At dahil malapit na ang finals, subsob ako sa pag-aaral.

I opened the door and revealed Ate Lela, a helper in the house.

“Pinapatawag po kayo ng mommy niyo sa hapag.”

I sighed. She's back after her Europe trip, huh? She's always lamenting about our status and yet she goes on trips waving her cash.

Umupo ako, dalawang upuan ang layo kay mommy. She's in her 40s already but you can't deny that she's still as elegant. For all I know, suitors fall in line for her. Pero hindi ko alam, mukha namang wala siyang interes.

Kahit nasa bahay ay naka red flowy dress pa ito with her full makeup and iron curled hair. Kung bakit ay hindi ko alam.

She looked at me and as if she remembered something, “You went to Davao?" she asked as if I didn't tell her anything about that.

I rolled my eyes then sighed as I sliced the steak cooked medium rare. “That's what the money I asked for. I messaged you and your secretary about it."

“Then how is it going?"

Nilunok ko ang kinakain. "I'm… doing well.”

She raised a brow as she sipped her wine. "You should. I don't expect any less from you. How were your members?”

"They're good as well. And our leader's competent too so it's not much of a burden to me.”

Nakita kong kumunot ang noo niya, hinting something she didn't like.

"You're not the leader?” her tone says it all, as if she's disgusted by that idea.

I gulped. "I-I’m not but—”

"Then you have nothing to be proud of,” and she started eating.

I gripped the spoon I was holding.

I was stunned with her words. Kahit nang ilapag ang paborito kong pasta sa lamesa ay hindi kayang alisin ang kahihiyan sa sarili ko.

I bit my lower lip harshly.

Bumigat ang paghinga ko at nawalan ako ng ganang kumain. Hindi ko malunok-lunok ang pagkain kahit pa gaano ito kasarap sa panlasa.

Her words cut too deep.

I was thinking of telling her about dad's condition but I bet she doesn't care about any of it.

I was still reflecting when she wiped her mouth and stood up. “Disappointing. Spend your days inside the library. I'll hear from Lela," tukoy niya sa helper namin.

Although she won't lock me up inside the library, she always makes sure that there's someone who'll update her with whatever I'm doing.

I smiled sarcastically. There's nothing to be sad about, right, Amaya? As if those words are new to you.

Dumiretso ako sa kusina at kinausap ang tagaluto namin. I told them about our project this week and instructed them baking 50 cupcakes for Wednesday.

“You know what, I give up! How can you spend time with someone as arrogant as Tano?!" Venice lamented.

I shrugged. “Well, we don't talk, so…”

They joined the ‘battle of the bands’, a competition that will be held on Wednesday, the foundation day. At dahil kakaalis lang ng bokabolista nila, she's having a hard time finding a replacement.