018, bags

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: BAGS

     "AND HERE'S THE GUEST ROOM," Luce said, opening the door and gesturing inside. Anthony stepped inside and looked around. The room was spacious, and seemed more like a main bedroom than just a guest room. There was a dresser, a full-length mirror next to the closet, which was huge, a bed by the window, a TV on a stand across from the bed, and two nightstands, one on each side of the bed.

She let him look around the room for a few minutes before gesturing for him to keep following her. It was a few days later, and it turns out the problems with his apartment were worse than he thought, and he would have to vacate for two months so they could properly repair it. He stayed with Aaron and Luce for those days, and while it was nice, he could tell they wanted the house back to themselves, which he understood.

Aaron's old apartment, which was in Manhattan but still fairly close to Yankee stadium, was vacant right now and they were looking for renters. So, Luce had offered to show him the place.

She showed him the laundry room, two other bathrooms, and office space before bringing him back to the entryway.

"So, what do you think, Kid?" she asked, grabbing a bag of chips from the bag she'd brought. She tossed him the bag and he caught it.

"It's really nice," he replied, popping open the bag. "And the gym and pool are a plus."

"I thought you'd like those." She smiled, grabbing a claw clip and tossing her hair up.

"How much is the rent?" he asked, stuffing a handful of chips in his mouth.

"Don't worry about it." She waved her hand, dismissing him.

His eyes narrowed. "Luce-"

"You're our friend," she interjected, her voice gentle. "And I don't want or need your money."

He was silent for a moment before saying, "I can't just live here for free."

"$350 a month, utilities included," she offered, leaning against the wall. He looked skeptical, so she continued, "Look, the place is empty, and I'd rather have someone live in it then have it empty. And it's not like you'd be living here for free, you'd just be getting a...family and friend's discount."

"That's still too low," he protested, folding his arms across his chest. She raised an eyebrow, copying his position.

"Fine, $450."

"Too low."

"$425."

"Too low."

"410 and that's my final offer, kid."