Chapter 14 - I'm Miles Away from Yesterday

Author's Note: I know this is a horrible place to leave y'all hanging, buuuut this is the last chapter I have written right now. XD There is So Much Angst here. Curious to see any predictions/thoughts you have!

~ Amina Gila

Tech settles in the Marauder to look over the datachip, the rest of them gathering in the cockpit to see what they need to do. "According to Cid's intel, the Zygerrian slave traders are hiding in the ruins of Old Ord Mantell city," Tech informs them after a few minutes of silence and some typing. "We will head there and scout it out, see what we're up against."

He turns toward the controls, firing up the engines and lifting off.

"What's a slave trader?" Omega asks, leaning forward.

"A slave trader is someone who buys and sells people for credits," Tech answers.

Omega jerks back. "People can be sold?"

He glances at her. "Well, of course. The Republic purchased the clone armies from the Kaminoans. Clones are not part of the Sentient Rights Act and as such, we are not protected by the anti-slave trade laws. Legally, we are not considered sentient and are property of the Republic."

Omega's expression becomes even more horrified, and Crosshair looks away, jaw clenching as he folds his arms across his chest. He knows that they are technically nothing more than property. That doesn't mean he likes to think about it, much less hear it laid out so plainly. "That – that's not right," she says, her voice wavering.

"It's not," Crosshair responds heatedly.

"We're gonna save that kid," Wrecker agrees.

"As well as earn a decent amount of credits once the job is complete," Tech adds.

They land on a rocky outcropping overlooking the ruins of the city, and they approach on foot. Crosshair unslings his rifle, using the scope to get a visual while the others look through macrobinoculars. "I have a visual on the Zygerrians," Crosshair reports, "And I see one kid."

"Poor Muchi. She looks scared," Omega murmurs.

"I'm clocking two dozen hostiles. Multiple entry points with minor fortification," Tech tells them.

Crosshair scans the area. Doesn't look hard, not for them, even if they're down two.

Wrecker laughs. "Simple smash 'n grab like that time on Kuat. Easy enough."

"There are only three of us," Tech snaps. "Do not overestimate our chances."

"What?" Crosshair drawls. "You think we can't do it?"

"I did not say that," Tech answers sharply. He lowers the macrobinoculars to look at them. "Omega should probably stay on the ship. Her training is still minimal. She is not ready for field missions yet."

"But – we're a squad!" Omega protests defensively.

Oh, really? Crosshair scoffs before he can stop himself. "Are we?"

The look Wrecker gives him is betrayed. "'Course we are!" He sounds wounded.

Crosshair shakes his head. "Then why are we always fighting?" he asks bitterly. Ever since they left Kamino, ever since Echo joined Rex again, it feels like they've been at each other's throats non-stop.

There's a moment where they all look at anything but each other as his words hang over them. Finally, Tech straightens. "Very well. Crosshair, up top. Wrecker, cause a diversion to distract them. Omega and I will get the kid."