Episode One, Ch.2: Getting familiar.

It was a cold and damp morning, as rain sprinkled throughout the goblet neighborhood. Wayne was just leaving his apartment, groggy and weary-eyed. It's been a few days since he spoke to the guy at the bar, granted it was a bit odd. Wayne thought about the new opportunity given to him. He'd never been just 'offered' a living, rather just made one of his own.

Arriving at the Ul'Dah bazaar, it wasn't as packed today as it usually is. No smells of hot food, no dancing maidens in the streets, it was usually a sign that even with today's little rain it was definitely a show-stopper. Heading through the Jeweled Crozier alley despite the conditions, stalls were still alive and bartering, with people arguing almost every minute on a perfect price.

"I suppose even with today's depressing atmosphere, I could give the crew a greeting." Wayne said to himself as he walked to a nearby booth, picking up a local article of the news.
"Feeling generous to buy a paper today this time, handsome?" The sound of a woman's voice rang out, her tone rather indulging, like a glazed jam dessert. Wayne turns to see a lithe Au ra woman of beautiful blue skin and glistening black scales, her short dark hair smoothly resting upon her soft shoulders. Wayne instantly recognized her.

"Tessa, I doubt I'd be taking it home. But you could do much more than selling a few wet blankets in this weather." Wayne responded, his smirk rising at the sight of her. The two had light chemistry at one point, but as it goes- Tessa is one tough nut to crack.

"30 gil, I won't ask another time. Unless you plan to take me on a nice dinner for more than it's worth." She teased, snatching up the issue from Wayne's grasp.

"Oh come on, I haven't been a sucker for an entire year. You know guys like me tend to fall short on what a woman likes." Wayne said leaning toward Tessa, offering a few coins with two of his fingers. Tessa peered at the gil before taking it and turning her back to him.

"Liar, this is an Allagan mint, a hundred. You never usually have this much on hand during a casual stroll. Are you becoming a bad apple?" Tessa turned to him, a sinister smile etched upon her lips. She put the money into a small coin-purse nearby.

"Lies sound better when you're playing it safe. I suppose I couldn't help myself." Wayne chuckled. "I got offered a reimbursement to study into something a little niche for my work. Remember when we used to do jobs together?"

Tessa scoffs. "You sure know how to keep me interested." She'd say as she leaned over to watch the streets. "Watch your head, I don't need any guards thinking my booth is a confessional."

Closing the curtains on the stall wagon, Wayne and Tessa sit in the booth's closed room.

"I'm going to investigate a gambling ring in Lidde. Normally I don't take jobs like this anymore, but I've gotten rusty." Wayne said flipping a coin through his fingers.

"I'm a salesman now sweetheart, it's not that easy for me to just jump into your arms again. Besides, I have a new preference in men now. Live ones." Tessa responded, crossing her legs as she glared at him.

Wayne shrugged, looking down at his hands. "Operation Omega was different, you wound me."

"Even after you left, the town kept talking about it over and over. I once felt you were strong, but knowing even heroes bleed more than it's worth, I quit that life for me. Why couldn't you do the same?" Tessa said solemnly, exhaling a large sigh.

Wayne was silent a few moments.

"This time it's different. I'm no longer a Maelstrom dog winning battles under a banner. The least I can ask is that you come with me, be my eyes like you used to." Wayne responded, holding out his hand.

"No Wayne, I don't think I will. I think I'm going to call it a day. Come back tomorrow for next week's issue." Tessa said slapping his hand away. It was clear she was still upset about the past, but Wayne couldn't afford to make her angry.