Chapter 1: Excuse me?

"𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚗𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚊 𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚊 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝚒𝚖𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗." ~𝚆𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚁𝚘𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜

Chapter 1

=||=||=

I ran my finger against the smooth, shiny desk that rested below my folded arms. It trailed along the rounded edges slowly before stopping once it had hit the end. I let it go slack, honestly too tired to pick myself up.

I lifted my eyes to the front of the room where Mrs.Anderson stood. Her back faced me as she wrote rather quickly on the board. Her words left her mouth just as fast, yet never made it to my ears. I glanced at the maroon clock above her to see class was practically done. Finally getting the energy to, I sat back up in my seat before sliding my things back into my bag.

Spanish was one of my least favorite classes of the day. It wasn't necessarily the content that I found hard or challenging. The class was just boring. And way too long.

Brring! Brring!

I wasted no time in rushing out of the tight classroom, slipping in between passing students. My legs hurriedly carried me to the art room located on the other side of the school. My aunt, Laura, had been working as an art teacher at Riverview Academy for a few years now. It was how she managed to pull strings and get me admitted here. One of the benefits that came with that was being able to use her room during lunch and free period.

Before even making it to the same hall the class was in, I felt a hand grab a hold of my arm. My head shot around annoyed to see my ex, Autumn, standing in front of me. She had her right hand on my bicep as the other found its way into her brown wavy hair.

"Hey Sebastian," she said, lifting her eyes to meet mine. I broke the eye contact to look at her hand that still rested on my arm. Pulling it away from her, my face twisted into one of impatience as I looked back at her.

"Yeah?" I asked, my sour mood clear in my voice. The last thing I wanted to be doing was talking to this girl in front of me. Let's just say our relationship was quite a mess, and the breakup was even worse.

"What's with the tone? I can't say 'Hey' to you anymore?" she asked back, making a face. She took a small step closer, but not enough to be in my space. Yet, I still matched it with a bigger step back.

"No, not when you're my ex," I responded with a look of my own. There was seriously no way she was doing this in the middle of the hall. Besides us, there were a few other people in the hall. Some of them belonged to her cheer team who tried passing looks my way, however so, not as discretely as they thought.

"Were we not friends before we dated?" She stuck out her hip and put her hand on it, attempting to put more emphasis on her point. However, it failed to land so I quickly shot a response back.

"Is that what you'd call that? Interesting what you consider friendship." My tone came off a little more snappy than I had wanted which was clear when she took a step back. I just want to get to the art room, I thought. "Was there something you needed?" The sooner she got to the real reason she approached me then the sooner I could leave.