Chapter Six : The Emporium of Curiosities Part One

Heavy rain fell on my way back home. Being the genius I am, I forgot to check the weather before going out and didn't bring an umbrella. And so I splashed my way through the downpour, getting soaked from head to toe. Most shops were closed and I had nowhere to take shelter from the cloudburst. I occasionally stopped under stretches of roofs and cloth awnings, taking a breather, waiting out the storm.

    About 20 minutes of walking distance from home, I spotted an open shop, red lights shining lambent across the sidewalk. No sign posted up. No goods put on display. Not even a soul going in or coming out at this late hour. First thing that came to mind was probably the same that's coming to yours now. I thought it was a cathouse, some sort of a shady brothel, maybe an underground strip club or whatnot. I wasn't planning on going in, I swear. But then a thought struck me like the thunder raging across the dark skies above. What do strip clubs usually have, save for half-naked beautiful ladies? That's right, heating. And so I shook my head, clicked my tongue, sighed deeply, then spun for the entrace.

    Standing at the threshold, I heard not a single beat, no music playing beyond. I hesitated at first. Because, if that wasn't a strip club, then the alternative is much more scary, not to mention illegal too, at least here in New York. I still didn't know why I pushed the door. Best case scenario, I was about take shelter until the rain died out. Worst case scenario, I was about to walk into a class B misdemeanor charge. Yet something compelled me to go in. Something I struggle to explain to this day. And believe me, I didn't do it out of horniness. You're going to have to trust me on that.

    Tiny bells rang as soon as I swung the door open. I was greeted by an empty desk at the far end, flanked by drawers and shelves and rows of the most random stuff I'd ever seen in a store. Worn-out books and tomes filed on my left. Eerie jars on my right, with some holding big meaty insects and crustasceans, others small rodents and desiccated skulls. I recoiled upon inspecting them at first. Then nodded at how impressive and real they looked. I turned to scan the rest of the shop. The style seemed dated, like 16th century dated, maybe older. Gothic? Damned if I know. Everything was oddly polished despite the woodwork being archaic and rusty. The floorboard creaked with every careful step I took. The ceiling was littered with hanging trinkets and bones and symbols woven with what seemed to be silk and wool. Red light emanated from a spotlight tucked behind a set of drapes with tribal etchings adorning it's fabric.

    "Hello?" My call came out a fearful whisper.

    The sound of footsteps almost sent my heart bursting out of my ribcage. My legs barely carried me when I realized it was a woman coming out of the backroom. She looked paler than the average human being, red hair cascading down thin shoulders and draping over her tight chest, meshing with her long red dress, unnatural black eyes staring intently at me as she edged closer, bare feet pattering along with a clinking anklet chain as if to announce her arrival. I don't know if it was the red light playing tricks on me or what. But that dark glare she possessed was terrifying to say the least. "You know what? I think I wandered in here by mistake. I am going to head out now." I waved a hasty goodbye and whirled towards the exit.

    "I don't get many visitors these days." Her soft voice rang as if she were whispering directly into my ears. Soothing.

    My hand stopped upon touching the handle. "Visitors? You mean customers. This is a shop, isn't it?"

    "It is and it isn't." Again, that calming tone, sweeter than a lullaby. "I was hoping you'd stay. But I mustn't keep you," she added, smiling warmly as she leaned against the desk.

    "I suppose I could stay for a while." I shrugged. "Sorry for being rude, you got a bit of a creepy setup here."

    She kept her smile.