12. Succor, pt.1

Very soon, however, whatever persecutions Tamara might have in mind for her neighbor would have to wait; for her son had woken up and noticed the new arrival.

"Oh... hey, Dad," the boy acknowledged. "How long have you been here?"

Randy turned to regard him, and nodded back. "Quite a while. Glad to see you up and about again, sport. How're you feeling?"

"Um... Nothing broken, the docs said. Still could get a bit woozy sometimes. Hope I'm not gonna have to wear a cast, like Cove..."

"You'd do well not to mock him for it, then, in days to come. Did the docs also say how long you'd have to remain here?"

"That is something I'd have to find out as well, now that you brought it up," Tamara joined. She then looked at her son. "Might as well do that now. Wanted some time together with your dad, didn't you?"

The Red Rider gasped with cheery surprise. "What are you, Mom, a mind reader?"

With a light shrug and a loving wink at Randy, she said, "All yours," and went out.

The father, when he was sure they were alone, approached his son's bedside. "So. Tough day, huh?"

The Red Rider had to wince from another spike of pain in the head just then. "No probs... uh, what's my name again?"

Randy blinked. That red-car bastard! "You're Saka Greenfields, eight years old. I'm your dad, Randy. Your mom's outside, got some business of her own."

"Huh... right. Dad. Glad you came. My friends came to see me, too."

"I noticed. Nice friends, all of them."

"Which kinda worries me, Dad. I mean... they've proven now that they could get that nice, but... I may not be able to stop speaking so frankly to or about them, even when I'll be here no longer. What do you think I should do?"

"Let's see. Maybe think about their better sides before you start bad-mouthing them? You likewise throw tantrums often when your wishes are not seen to, or just being in not-so-good moods."

"...Is that a bad thing?"

"As you grow older, son, that will be less and less tolerated by those around you. Remember that. For the rest, you're honest and braver than most kids I know."

"And you love me for those, don't you?"

The father sighed. "As much as I do love your mother, God help us, if not more; but even she needs to be calmed sometimes. As do you."

"I'm calm now."

"Had you remained so, you would probably not have gotten into this accident."

The boy nodded, as far as his lying posture would allow. "I know. I even hit Dave, and mocked Cove, and worried Kez, and troubled Derek. I guess... I guess I just can't stand it when people make fun of me, or ignore me."

"You were playing together at the park before all this, as far as I'm given to understand. Playtimes, especially those done outdoors, are supposed to be fun and memorable, not hurtful. No matter whom you say had started it all, Saka, you ought to have helped keep things smooth for as long as you were there. If none could, then you should."

For all his candor, the boy was abashed. "...Spot-on, Dad. Sorry."

Randy stroked the boy's hair a few times for that. "Now you know for next time. That goes for your friends at school too, you hear me?"

The boy winced yet again, and his father had to pause.

"Yeah," Saka mumbled shortly. "And Dad... thanks. For coming here after long hours at work. Must be tired yourself."