19. Fresh Start, pt.2

At about the same time when Randy was expressing his willingness to be part of the upcoming night's end-of-summer barbecue and fireworks events, Karima Ashford and her son Dave were having a conversation of their own.

The first part of it, as one might have guessed, was about the possibility of their attending the end-of-summer fireworks show; to which, indeed, they agreed relatively easily.

"Say, Mom," Davin went on after a brief silence. "I wonder... do you ever miss Dad? And if you do, just how... how badly?"

Kari blinked. "We're well past this, darling."

"I-I know... and it's probably poor manners to ask about the same questions over and over again. It's just... there's something in my mind, now that you've had us be in the same faith as that of Mr. Greenfields's."

"What do you think Randy's faith has to do with whatever you may be thinking, son?"

"Well, it's like this... and please, Mom, listen to the end, would you?"

"I am."

The boy managed a small smile. "Right... so, I still miss Dad and I sorta wanna have someone I know I could call that freely again... if you don't mind."

The mother's stare became thoughtful. "You want to feel like you have a dad again... Is that what you're saying?"

"Yeah..."

This gave Kari pause. Not only must she attempt to address once more her only son's renewed grief over the loss of a parent--despite her best efforts in previous years--but such a sentiment brought her to recall what her nephew Cove had gone through... including the runaway attempt.

But more to the issue at hand, she observed. Were I to nod to Dave's request just now, then my options would either be remarriage or... Or..!

"You said something about us having now become part of Randy's faith," she resumed carefully. "Does that mean you want him to be that new father figure?"

"Sorta," came Dave's reply.

"Why Randy, though?"

"Why? Isn't that pretty obvious? 'Cause no one else could," Dave replied lightly. "Mr. Suarez already has his own large family. Mr. Holden could not prevent his own son trying to get away that other day. Only Saka's dad had done anything meaningful about it... plus, like I said, we're now of the same faith with him, so..."

Kari sighed. "Very well, I'll consider it; but know this. It may matter less and less once you grow up... Regarding him as your father figure, I mean."

Dave nodded bravely. "I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, Mom. We might even be friends, Mr. Greenfields and myself. Just like with Saka."

"Saka," his mother repeated. "You might want to ask him, too. Just in case he grumbles about it."

"Sure. But first... his father. You'd help me there, Mom, wouldn't you?"

Mrs. Ashford smiled. "I can always try, child. Pray for me."

"I sure will!"

In the wake of this, Kari's mind began to race. Same faith or otherwise, you couldn't just ask someone else to be a new parent figure for your child...

At the same time, she could see Dave's simple logic: only Randy night have done it. He wasn't already burdened with many children of his own, like Gregorio Suarez; nor thus far proved incapable of maintaining a stable family, like Holden. On that basis, asking Randy out about possible custodianship might in fact make sense...