Chapter 3: Closer Than You Think

Erica's POV

The days had started to blur together. Every morning felt the same: wake up, go to school, practice cheer leading, and try to keep my mind off the gnawing anxiety that had taken root in my stomach. Agent Daniels had become a regular fixture in my life, always there with a reassuring smile and a kind word. It was comforting, but also strange. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Today was no different. I was in the locker room, tying my sneakers, when Katie walked in. She sat down beside me, her expression serious.

"Hey, Erica," she said, her voice low. "How are you holding up?"

I sighed, forcing a smile. "I'm okay, Katie. Just trying to take it one day at a time."

She nodded, but her eyes were filled with concern. "You know you can talk to me about anything, right? I'm here for you."

"I know," I said, feeling a pang of guilt. Katie was my best friend, and I hadn't been completely honest with her about how scared I really was. "Thanks, Katie. It means a lot."

As we made our way to the practice field, I noticed Agent Daniels standing by the bleachers, his eyes scanning the area. He caught my gaze and smiled, walking over to meet us.

"Good morning, Erica," he greeted, his voice warm and reassuring. "Katie."

"Morning, Agent Daniels," I replied, feeling a strange mix of relief and anxiety. "Everything okay?"

"Just checking in," he said with a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," I lied, trying to sound confident. "Thanks for being here."

"Anytime," he said, his eyes meeting mine with an intensity that made my heart skip a beat. "If you ever need anything, you know where to find me."

Practice went by in a blur. I tried to focus on the routines, but my mind kept drifting back to the strange feeling of being watched. It was as if the shadows had come to life, lurking just out of sight. Every time I turned around, I half-expected to see someone standing there, watching me.

After practice, I walked over to the bleachers where Agent Daniels was waiting. Katie had left to grab a smoothie, giving me a moment alone with him.

"Hey," I said, sitting down beside him. "Thanks for being here."

"Of course," he replied, his gaze steady. "How are you really holding up, Erica?"

I hesitated, debating how much to tell him. "I'm scared," I admitted finally. "It feels like no matter what I do, I can't shake this feeling of being watched."

He nodded, his expression serious. "I understand. We're doing everything we can to keep you safe. Have you noticed anything unusual lately?"

"Just the same car," I said, shivering at the memory. "And sometimes, I feel like someone's following me, but when I turn around, there's no one there."

"That's why we're here," he said, his voice firm. "To make sure nothing happens to you."

I looked into his eyes, searching for reassurance. There was something about Agent Daniels that made me feel safe, even though a part of me still felt uneasy.

"Thank you," I said softly. "It means a lot to know someone's looking out for me."

"Always," he replied, his gaze never wavering. "Remember, if you ever feel unsafe, call me. No matter what time it is."

I nodded, feeling a little better. As I stood up to leave, he reached out and gently touched my arm. "Be careful, Erica. Trust your instincts."

"I will," I promised, heading back to the locker room.