Chapter Three - Cairo Sweet

CC - Chapter Three - Cairo Sweet

Song Choice: Sweater Weather by the Neighbourhood

The rest of Monday, as well as Tuesday, passed in a blur. I already had assignments to start working on, and I knew soccer was starting next week and that I should get ahead on it. I had deleted my social media apps Sunday night, before the first day, because I knew how easy it was for me to get distracted, and I knew I needed to focus.

Waking up before my alarm Wednesday morning, I groaned, annoyed, until I remembered that I had class with the mysterious girl from the first day. With that recollection, I popped up out of bed and contemplated what to wear. Eventually, I just gave up, throwing on my favorite pair of pants, which were some Carhartt brown carpenter pants, and a slightly cropped, black US National Team muscle tee, along with my black Adidas Sambas.

I felt like it was good enough, and went to the bathroom to get ready. I decided to leave my hair down today, and put just enough product in it to make it a little bit more wavy. Once I felt ready enough for the day, I grabbed my backpack, which was just a black Patagonia backpack, and put my AirPods in, putting The Neighbourhood on shuffle. The first song that played was Sweater Weather, but only because it was their top song on Spotify.

Since I had woken up before my alarm, I had a bit more time than I usually did and had time to get a coffee before class started, and began to head to the same coffee shop that I had gone to after class on Monday.

Once I had arrived and ordered my usual, the vanilla latte with almond milk, I realized I still had about twenty minutes before I needed to be in class, and the building was practically next door.

Waiting at a table near where I would pick up my coffee, I pulled out my phone, wishing I still had social media, even if just for times like these.

Oh, whatever. I'll go ahead and redownload Instagram.

Still waiting on my drink, I redownloaded Instagram and logged in. I saw countless notifications, mostly reels being sent to me from my friends from high school, but I did see a follow notice: Cairo Sweet has started following you.

Who's Cairo Sweet?

Clicking on the profile that had begun to follow me since Monday, I saw that posts were sparse, and there were hardly any actual people. But one stuck out to me. It was a picture of a girl, one knee pulled up to her chest, smoking a cigarette. And then I realized, looking at the girl's features, that it was the girl from the first day of class on Monday.

Huh, I guess now I know her name. But one, why did she start following me? Two, how did she find my account?

I reviewed my personal profile, seeing if there was anything that gave me away. I saw where I had tagged the US National Team and the Yale soccer team, and my profile photo, which was a mirror picture in which I had on jeans, a black skeleton sweater, and my Sambas, but other than that, there wasn't much else that would explain why she was suddenly following me.

Breaking me out of my trance, I heard my order called out and knew it was time to get up. Getting up haphazardly, throwing my phone in my pocket, I ran face first into someone after turning and pushing in my chair behind me.

Stunned, I recognized the face before me. Cairo Sweet.