Chapter 25 - Back to New York

Lizzie's POV

"No way! Jarnett asked Charlie to stay for dinner with you?" Scar practically shouted on the other end of the phone.

"Yes, Charlie was so surprised! You should have seen her face," I said, recalling the dinner with my mom.

I was finishing packing while talking to Scar on the speakerphone. In a few hours, we would be traveling back to New York. But this time, Charlie and I would be attending the twins' fashion show.

"So, how was dinner with you, your mom, and Charlie? Tell me everything, Lizzie!" Scar asked, wanting all the details.

"Strangely, it was... really nice," I started, trying to organize my thoughts. "We talked non-stop during dinner. My mom seemed to really like Charlie."

"That's good, right?" asked Scar.

"Yes, I couldn't believe how well they got along. I don't think I've ever seen my mom so interested in meeting someone new in my life," I said while putting my clothes in the suitcase.

"Charlie is an easy woman to like. I remember the first time I met her, and I immediately liked her. Even your sisters like her," commented Scar.

"Sometimes I think they like Charlie more than me," I responded, laughing.

"Well, can you blame them?" Scar replied, laughing too. "Besides, Charlie is really good for you," she said with an ambiguous tone, implying something more.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to understand where she was going with this.

"I know I told you that you were confusing Charlie's attention for something else when we talked at the café..."

"Mhmm," I said, waiting for her to continue.

Scar was silent for a moment, probably thinking about her next words. "The time I spent with her while she was recovering after I stupidly injured her, I got to know her better. But not just that, I also observed you two when you were together," she continued.

"Scarlett, what exactly are you trying to say?" I asked impatiently.

"I think there might be something more between you two. And I don't mean just becoming best friends because obviously, I'm your best friend," she said with a giggle. "Lizzie, I'm pretty sure she feels something for you," she finished.

I tried to process her words quickly. Charlie is a charming woman and always makes sure I feel good. She's very kind, and when we're together, she gives me all her attention. I feel like she genuinely cares about everything I do. I don't treat her like my driver, and even before she became my bodyguard too, I always felt safe around her.

"Lizzie? Are you still there?" Scar asked.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I forgot to respond. "Um, yes," I said, clearing my throat. "Scar, I... I don't know," I replied, trying to organize my mind.

"Look, I'm not saying you should look for something that might not be what you expect, but if you think there's even a slight chance you feel something more for her, and the opportunity arises, just let things happen," her words echoed strongly in my head.

I couldn't help but wonder, what do I feel for Charlie? My mind felt like an uncontrollable tide.

"I... honestly hadn't thought about it again. But now that you mention it, and after seeing how well they got along at dinner, I started thinking about what my mom said when we took her home," I replied nervously, remembering that night.