The Stares

It doesn't slip by Terry's all-seeing eyes, and it doesn't slip by the nosey staff either. Those glances that the sultry bartender shares with him now and then, even when charming bar regulars.

   While Madge feasts on the bar's eye candy, if Terry could slack on the job like everyone else he knows he'd be doing it too.
   "Nicole! What did I tell you about congregating at the host stand! Every time I turn around there's guests waiting, a distracted hostess, and one less waitress!" Terry hollered toward the host stand, Amber twirling her hair as Nicole rolled her eyes.
   "Wow Terry, I'm surprised you can see me all the way from the bar. You know.. where you've been for the past hour?" Nicole teased. She always had to get the last word in. Terry blew steam from his nose as she strutted off to presumably go handle Poppy.

   Clint looks up from polishing glasses near the bar back, locking eyes with Terry.
   "You heard her, boss. Order a drink or get busy." He winked, Madge and her friend swooning and howling some more comments.

   "Man, and he says you guys break code of conduct." Nico comments on the observation through the window of the kitchen.
   "Fucks that supposed to mean?!" Joey shoots a glare at his line cook, turning back to reading tickets. "Drop me a Santa Fe!"
   "Heard! I know right? It's like, totally obvious!" Pickles smacks his cheeks with gum as he tosses a chicken breast onto the flat top.
   "Can you guys stop gossiping? Without me." Ruby smirks from the side of the kitchen, slipping over to get a view of the window. "I haven't seen him sweat this much since the first time Tim and Pam demanded gift cards."

   Suddenly, the view was obstructed by an angry brad
   "Hey, where the hells my chicken at? I've got that snobby bitch at table 4, she said she wants it burnt but not black. Whatever the fuck that means. What are you guys looking at?" He complains, turning around and noticing the sight. Terry with a seemingly locked jaw and ditzy gaze at the bar.
   "Just our strong, assertive boss out there showing them who's in charge."
   "Didn't know Clint was the new manager" Ruby commented, the whole kitchen laughing. Besides the head chef, of course.
He calmed them back down and directed them back to the shitty chicken they had to make for that lady.

   Meanwhile, Terry had finally snapped out of the spell he was sucked under and retreated to his office. No amount of seagulls screaming for Terry and coupons could fish him out of there. A red faced, embarrassed mess he was. Real slick, just staring at the bartender like that. The thumping of his heart and lump in his throat must be the effects of a good charmer working those wallets for tips, he hired the right man for the job. But at what cost?

   The whole restaurant died down after the rush and closing time was rounding, one by one the staff tossed in their towels and collected their portion of the tips. All but Clint, which wasn't unusual. He usually stayed back making the bar extra shiny, the glasses extra sparkly, and his station extra tidy. He told Terry before that it's part of the ambience, his workplace has to match his vibe or else he doesn't rack in enough money. Terry sat down at the bar.
   "Care to dirty a glass for me?" He sighed, rubbing his forehead.
   "Anything for you, boss." He watched the elegant and swift movements of Clint picking out a perfect chiseled glass from the collection and pouring some of the expensive stuff. He slid the glass down the bar and into Terry's palm, who gripped it firmly. "Rough day?"
   "You could say that.." he muttered, taking a long sip.
   "Tell me about it, Having to come back to work after a night of your girlfriend nagging at you to quit is a nightmare." He chuckled, leaning against the bar.
   "She's nagging at you to do what?!"
   "Yeah.. maybe it's not the type to talk about with your manager.." he smirked, rounding the bar and sitting in a bar stool beside Terry.
   "You can find a girl here that would love to see you be all flirty behind the bar, what's got you sticking with her for?!" As much as Terry hated to advertise the idea of it, but it was true. In his eyes, any girl here would be lucky to get with Clint. And lucky to be watching him work.
   "But isn't that against the code of conduct?" He smirked and narrowed his eyes at Terry, leaning toward him a bit.
   "ma tu non ci pensi davvero, vero?" He winked.

   Again, Terry was speechless and full of sputters. Clint leaned back in his seat, taking Terry's cup into his own hand and placing the rim against his lips.
   "Nevermind it, you won't have to worry about her boss. I know where my priorities are." He downed the whole glass, Terry's jaw again seemingly locked in place, hanging open.
   "I'll take care of closing, see you tomorrow. Happy hour, right?"
   Right. Sunday. That's when bistro huddy is really booming, he'll make plenty of tips that night but it means there wouldn't be an opening to lounge around the bar with Clint. Oh well.
   Terry stuttered out something like a goodbye or goodnight, and headed out to his car. He let out a shuddery sigh behind the wheel, gripping it until his knuckles turned white.