Chapter 1

(Sam Wilson is jogging around Washington, D.C. as the sun rises. Steve Rogers quickly catches up to him.)

Steve Rogers: On your left.

(Sam continues to jog. Steve ends up needing to pass him again after doing another lap.)

Steve: On your left.

Sam Wilson: Uh-huh, on my left. Got it.

(Sam is still jogging. Now passing the Lincoln Memorial, Steve comes around again.)

[Sam hears Steve's footfalls and turns his head as he keeps jogging.]

Sam: Don't say it. Don't you say it!

Steve: On your left.

Sam: Come on!

[Sam attempts to sprint after Steve, but he is quickly left in the dust.]

Most in the room let out chuckles at Sam's actions.

The man himself softly tossed up a hand as he said, "That ain't even fair."

(Sam is now resting on the ground leaning against a tree. As he catches his breath Steve walks over to him.)

Steve: Need a medic?

Sam: (laughs) I need a new set of lungs. Dude, you just ran, like, 13 miles in 30 minutes.

Steve: (with his hands resting on his hips) I guess I got a late start.

Sam: (chuckles) Really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap.

[Sam glances away for a second. Barely hesitating.]

Sam: Did you just take it? I assume you just took it.

Emersyn liked the way Sam was teasing Steve. She even muffled her chuckles with a hand over her mouth.

Steve: (after noticing an emblem on the sweatshirt Sam was wearing) What unit you with?

Sam: 58th Pararescue. But now I'm working down at the VA.

Rhodes and Emersyn both nodded to themselves after Sam revealed where in the army he had worked.

Rhodes even went as far as to look at Sam and say, "That's impressive, man." Sam nodded his thanks to the compliment but was stopped from facing the screen as Emersyn spoke up. "Seriously, pararescue is tough."

A bit surprised by the second compliment, Sam turns to Emersyn and asks, "Are you military?" Unintentionally, Emersyn's left leg starts bouncing. But she looks at Sam with a small smile as she answers, "Former marine."

Sam leans back in his seat with an impressed, "Damn."

Sam: (raising his hand) Sam Wilson.

[Steve helps Sam stand up.]

Steve: Steve Rogers.

Sam: I kind of put that together. Must have freaked you out, coming home after the whole defrosting thing.

Steve: It takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam.

[Steve is turning to leave when Sam speaks again.]

Sam: It's your bed, right?"

Steve: (facing Sam again) What's that?

Sam: Your bed, it's too soft. When I was over there I'd sleep on the ground and use rocks for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and it's like...