Chapter 5

💙Chapter 5 ~ Quiet Waters 

As I left the town, a blizzard began to blow, obscuring the path I had to follow. It was soon difficult to see, but I managed to make my way nearly to the entrance to Waterfall. 

But, at the entrance to the caverns, stood Papyrus. He was alone, so... This would be where we would fight. And he... would die. 

"HALT, HUMAN!" He said firmly. I took a step towards him when he said that, which only seemed to irritate him. "HEY, QUIT MOVING WHILE I'M TALKING TO YOU! I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, HAVE SOME THINGS TO SAY." He said irritably. Good, now he knew how I felt, listening to his incessantly loud and obnoxious voice all the time. 

"FIRST: YOU'RE A FREAKING WEIRDO! NOT ONLY DO YOU NOT LIKE PUZZLES. BUT THE WAY YOU SHAMBLE ABOUT FROM PLACE TO PLACE... THE WAY YOUR HANDS ARE ALWAYS COVERED IN DUSTY POWDER. IT FEELS... LIKE YOUR LIFE IS GOING DOWN A DANGEROUS PATH." He said, a strange expression on his skull. 

"HOWEVER! I, PAPYRUS, SEE GREAT POTENTIAL WITHIN YOU! EVERYONE CAN BE A GREAT PERSON IF THEY TRY! AND ME, I HARDLY HAVE TO TRY AT ALL!!! NYEH HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH!!!" He said before he began to cackle, just like he always did. 

I moved closer. "HEY, QUIT MOVING! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! HUMAN! I THINK YOU ARE IN NEED OF GUIDANCE! SOMEONE NEEDS TO KEEP YOU ON THE STRAIT AND NARROW!" He said thoughtfully. "BUT WORRY NOT! I, PAPYRUS... WILL GLADLY BE YOUR FRIEND AND TUTOR! I WILL TURN YOUR LIFE RIGHT AROUND!!!" He declared loudly. 

I took a few more steps. I was not very far from him, now. Just a bit closer, and... "I SEE YOU ARE APPROACHING. ARE YOU OFFERING A HUG OF ACCEPTANCE?" He asked, sounding ridiculously pleased. So I nodded, hoping he would let me get just a bit closer. "WOWIE!! MY LESSONS ARE ALREADY WORKING!! I, PAPYRUS, WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS!" He exclaimed as I got just close enough. 

'He's going to regret sparing me!" I thought as I took one last step. 

I was close enough now. I grabbed my toy knife and slashed. With the malice behind the attack, his skull fell from his shoulders, but he caught it on the way down. That was... Unexpected... 

"W-WELL, THAT'S NOT WHAT I EXPECTED..." He said shakily before his body disintegrated and his skull fell to the ground. "BUT... ST... STILL! I BELIEVE IN YOU! YOU CAN DO A LITTLE BETTER! EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK SO!" He said confidently. But his voice had gotten on my very last nerve. 

"I... I promise..." He said in a quieter, almost heartbroken tone. But I had had enough of him. Since he didn't seem to want to give up and die, I "helped" him... 

By stomping his skull into the snow and smashing it into bits... After that, it finally disintegrated... 

With the irritatingly loud skeleton now dust in my wake, I moved past the snow and on into Waterfall. As I entered the dark, dank caves, I found a sentry station, but there was no one there. 'Could someone have more than one post...?' I wondered briefly before deciding that it hardly mattered. I noticed another golden glint and made sure to touch it before I left. The glint filled me with determination. 

In the dark room, I almost missed the same kid I had seen in Snowdin. "Yo! Are you sneaking out to see her, too?" He called when he saw me, and I looked towards him, my hand on my toy knife. But the kid just grinned. "Awesome.... She's the coolest, right!? I wanna be just like her when I grow up..." He said, before adding "Hey, don't tell my parents I'm here. Ha ha." before he took off into the darkness. 

I made a face at the monster kid, but followed. It seemed like I was cursed to be heckled by irritations through out my journey... 

I walked past the sentry point and into an area where there was tall weeds below a sheer cliff. An armored figure stood at the top as if waiting for someone. But as the figure waited, its head turned aside and I realized I had made a rustle in the tall grass. The figure walked towards the edge and manifested a spear of blue energy.