Limbo? No! A Tea Party!

"I'm so sorry, Mr. Ford and Mrs. Ford. Ivan...didn't make it."
Ivan's mother collapsed on the ground in tears, sobbing into her hands. Her husband kneeled down next to her. Fighting his own tears, he put a hand on her back and traced circles with his palm. The nurse got a bit misty eyed and she looked over to the doctor standing in the doorway of room 999. He sighed and turned the light off, leaving eleven-year-old Ivan Ford to rest in his bed.

Eternally.

 »»———-  ———-««

Ivan slowly opened his eyes, feeling better than ever. He smiled to himself and sat up in his bed, ready to see his mom and dad. They weren't there. Ivan...wasn't even in the hospital anymore. He looked around, it seemed like he was in a young girl's room. Pink was everywhere and cute stuffies lined a shelf on the wall.
Colored pencil drawing were pinned up on a cork-board to his right, and a small circular table was in the middle of the room to his left. A tea set sat on the table, patiently waiting to be used. Ivan pushed the covers down off his legs and swung them over the side of the bed. His feet touched the floor and he relished the feeling of touching solid ground. He walked over to the door and on his way he passed a full length mirror. He looked at his reflection, his head wasn't wrapped in bandages anymore and length of skin the peeled off his face and arms from the accident had vanished. All that remained were very faint patches of lighter skin. He was still in his hospital gown, but he had some shorts on underneath.

Ivan was about to open the door when a voice called out, "Chicago? Is that you?" Ivan turned around and tilted his head. A girl probably about nine steps out of her closet holding a dark green and white lolita dress.
"Oh, Chicago! It is you! Come, you're just in time for my tea party!"
Ivan opens his mouth to ask her who Chicago is but for some reason he feels he already knows. Instead he nods and steps over to her, "Hello...?"
She looks at him with as bright smile, "Silly, you didn't forget my name did you?"
Ivan looks down, "I'm sorry..."
"Don't be. It's Charlie!"
"R-right, Charlie."

Charlie sets her dress on her bed and grabs a stuffed rabbit before holding it out to Ivan, "Here, you can have Mr. Hopps. I'll have Julie." She says as she grabs a stuffed mushroom. Ivan gently takes Mr. Hopps and stares down at the grey bunny. It has a red ribbon around it's neck with the name 'Mr. Hopps' embroidered in it.

 Ivan looks up at Charlie and sees her shimmying her dress on over her shorts and tank top. Her brown curly hair springs up to it's original length when she pulls the neck hole over her head. She look very happy. Charlie spins around, then grabs Ivan's hand to lead him over to the tea table. He sits down and watches as she pours some actual tea into his cup. Once both cups are filled she raises it to him, prompting him to do the same. He makes sure to stick his pinky out the way Charlie does.
They take a sip and Charlie giggles, "I'm glad you can actually talk to me now, Chicago. Mommy used to say I was being immature, still having an imaginary friend. But now I can show her that you're real!"

A while goes by and the two end up sitting on Charlie's bed as they play House with the stuffies. Ivan finds himself enjoying his time with Charlie as he smiles at her. The brunette looks up at her friend, "Chicago?"
"Yeah?"
"Promise you'll stay with me."
"I promise, Charlie."
"You pinky promise?" She holds out her pinky and Ivan wraps his around hers with a nod. He presses his thumb to hers. 

"I pinky promise."

 »»———-  ———-««

670 words

[END]