2

Sofia knew she had to stay behind the counter, but she just couldn't. God knows how her mother could still rely on her. They agreed that she would have had to make a living, and since she was still in college and her mother needed a hand, she had offered to run her flower shop from time to time. Deep down she didn't mind, it was her little corner of paradise in the heart of a chaotic city like Boston.

However, she had to get her head in the work, welcome customers, and make herself useful, instead of swaying on the swing at the back of the shop, like when she was a child. The white repaint betrayed its true age, but the squeak did not improve despite several oil applications. The hinges were fixed to the ceiling and the chains were covered with plastic vines that her mother insisted on spraying with water to make them look real.

The scent of roses and geraniums intoxicated her. The air was thin, free of exhaust fumes... That was the taste of life. Her mother had warned her over and over not to dawdle there. Sofia had reassured her, promising that it would not happen. She wasn't going to lose her customers; after all, if they came in, she'd hear them and she'd snap to attention. If not, there was a huge bell on the counter that said: RING.

As on purpose, she heard the sound of the door in that very moment.

«Sofiaaa! Come on, I know you're back there. I have news to tell you!»

Sofia recognized her even before reaching the counter. Her voice was unmistakable. It was Jamie, her college colleague and best friend.

«May I suggest a bouquet of roses, Miss?» Sofia made fun of her.

«Forget the roses! Do you remember the project we decided to take part in?»

The girl made up her mind. Project? Oh yeah. The only one she had ever attended and Jamie had dragged her into. Literally. The literature debate group had proposed making "correspondence communication" fashionable again. To make things more interesting, enrollments were open to those attending any course and the exchange of letters could only take place with students from other colleges or universities participating in the project. In this way, it would have been impossible to already know the addressee. Sofia had reluctantly written her name on the list, watched by a pleading Jamie. Her friend was not the type to embark on certain "adventures" by herself.

However, it had been more than a month and she thought that the project failed.

«Unfortunately, I remember. Well, what happened?»

Jamie approached her as if she was about to deliver some super confidential news. «There is a rumor that envelopes with the names and addresses of our future 'pen pals' will be delivered tomorrow.»

«Gorgeous. We just needed that. I have so many things to do... Work, lessons, exams. Don't get me wrong, the idea might be fun, but letters have such a long timeline! Emailing each other would have been so much easier.»

Jamie sat down on the counter, next to a vase. In Sofia's mind, that vase was already shattered on the ground. «But that's the beauty of it! You're the usual killjoy. Always thinking of the thousand things to do. You don't have to see it as a commitment, on the contrary. It could be an opportunity. Who knows who you might deal with...»

«And you're too romantic» Sofia joked. «Do you think it's going to be like those heartbreaking movies you watch all the time? Will the handsome bad boy with a dark past contact us for a stupid school initiative and we will have the love story that everyone will envy? In your dreams.»

Jamie was silent, then replied: «You never know.»

«We'll see. I think we're going to get one of those hateful cheerleaders who get waxed every day and think they're desired by all men in the world.»

Her friend laughed. «Oh-oh, we're entering mined territory. Since that girl... Can't remember her name, but hey, ever since she got engaged to your guy, Jason, you've stigmatized all the cheerleaders.»

«Have you ever noticed that they can't talk to a guy without flirting? And that they walk arching their backs to show off their chest and their generous butt? For me, it's a symptom of low intelligence. They shouldn't exclusively value their body.»

Jamie leapt off the counter and performed an imitation of their walk. «You mean like this?»

They couldn't help themselves and burst out laughing, although Jamie was still irritated just thinking about what had happened a few months ago. She knew Sofia was very upset about her breakup with Jason, but she would never admit it openly. She was too proud.

The front door opened. The girls made up quickly and Jamie walked toward some sunflowers, as if she were trying to choose something for the perfect bouquet. She glanced briefly at Sofia, but her friend was already focused on the customer.

«Good morning» she greeted him.

It was a boy. He waved quickly and walked around the store, as if he were looking for something specific.

Jamie nodded her chin at Sofia. She understood immediately. There was no denying the boy's good looks. He was tall, dark hair slightly wavy and cut short, deep dark eyes. Still, his face and movements suggested that he was tired. He didn't have the classic cocky attitude of boys his age. At a rough guess, he could have been twenty-five at most. Sofia didn't stay at the store very often, but the few times she did, she'd never happened to see him.

«Oscar Wilde.»

«Pardon me?»

The boy had reappeared in an instant in front of the counter. Or maybe she was the one who got lost in her thoughts without realizing it.

He pointed to the sign posted behind Sofia. «It says: "With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?" It's Oscar Wilde.»

The girl turned as if she were seeing that writing for the first time. «Oh yes. My mother likes this sort of things.»

«Well, it's poetry. Who wouldn't like that?»

She shrugged. «I find it a bit cheesy, but that's my personal taste.»

Jamie watched the scene from her spot as if she were about to throw a vase at Sofia's head.

«So, what would you like to buy?» That kind of clientele needed flowers for their mother or girlfriend. "Fiancee", she would have put her fingers on it. Handsome boys like him were never available.

«I need some tulips, no matter the color. Make me a simple wrap.»

«Give me a second.» She practiced the few rules her mother had taught her, and before long, she emerged from the back with five fresh, paper-wrapped tulips. She had chosen them yellow and pink. She liked that combination.

He looked at it and smiled. «It's perfect.»

After paying her, he wished her a good day and went through the door with some urgency. And so, the boy who liked Oscar Wilde walked out.