Prologue

"Mommy... why haven't I gone outside for a while?" She adjusted her knees beneath her and leaned up on the chair, against the table, watching her mother.

Her mother froze, though her six year old brain could not understand the expression on her face. It was hard, and there was a spark of something in her eyes, a negative emotion that caused her to back away slightly. She uncurled her legs from beneath her and shrank into the back of the chair.

"As long as I have something to say about it, you will never go out again. Do you understand?" Her mother asked in a tone she had never heard her use before. It was harsh and upset.

"Bu-but why?" She stuttered, startled and wondering what was wrong with her mother.

"You've hurt other people, you're dangerous. I can't let you go outside anymore." Her mother explained in a dark tone.

She stared at her mother, not understanding what was going on. Yes, she had hurt the other kids, but it was an accident, she didn't know what happened... The expression on her mother's face made her afraid. She was angry.

She pulled in a sighing breath and got down from the chair. She walked around the kitchen table to put a hand on her mother's arm. She wanted to make her happy again.

Her mother gasped and moved away from her. She watched with wide eyes, her hand still outstretched. She didn't know what was happening, her mother was acting strange and it scared her. Her arms felt warm and the light that came with it shone on her skin. She heard a gasp, and looked up to see her mother backing away from her.

That was the beginning of everything changing.