Chapter 7

When she arrived home her mother wasn't there, which she was thankful for. She didn't want to face her mother's anger. Her father was at work, so the somewhat voice of reason wouldn't be present for the encounter. She shut herself in her bedroom and sat at the desk doing homework until Bakugo's words continued to echo in her head so frequently it was all she could think of, so she pushed away from the desk and sat on the floor.

She suddenly felt nervous as she stared at her hands. That feeling alone caused a glow to shine through her fingertips. Watching it she willed it to spread through her hands, it did, but it didn't stop there. The glow climbed up her arms and heat surged through her limbs. She gasped and clawed lightly at the skin wanting it to stop. She shook her already shaking arms in an attempt to cool down. It took a while for the glow and heat to fade back to normal. She bit her lip and shook her head slightly. She didn't want to experiment. Not when she was alone. Exhausted from the emotions and the strain of trying to control her quirk, she laid down to take a nap. She fell asleep quickly and when she woke up it was darker in her room, a warm glow of sunset rather than the bright sun rays of the afternoon sun.

She knew her parents would be home, so with a sigh, she left her room to face the fire. She ran a hand through her long blonde hair as she walked through the hallway. She hesitated at the end, hearing the sounds of running water and dishes clanking together. Her hands trembled and began to glow again. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She was afraid. She didn't want to talk to her parents, but she had to fight back like she decided she would. She had to face the fear. The brightness spread up her wrists and she resisted the urge to clasp her hands behind her back. She steeled herself and walked into the kitchen. Her father was sitting on the couch watching the news on the TV, yet another report of villains attacking and heroes saving the day. Her mother was doing the dishes and didn't notice her entry. Amaterasu swallowed and breathed lightly, she walked quietly to the kitchen table. Using the sound of the chair scraping against the floor as she roughly pulled it away from the table and sat down, she finally got her attention.

She didn't turn around.

"Do you have something to say?" Her mother asked over the sound of the running water.

Amaterasu didn't answer. She watched her back carefully. She still didn't turn around.

"I'm waiting for an apology." Her mother stated sharply.

Confused, her eyebrows furrowed. Why did she need to apologize? She had done nothing wrong, she stood up for herself. Bakugo was the one who pulled her away, which she was very thankful for. "Why?" She asked softly.

Her mother whipped around so fast she flung water droplets around her. "For your disrespect and disobedience!" She hissed.

Many emotions roiled beneath Amaterasu's skin. Anger was the first, for the way her parents treated her. Followed by fear and the desire to hold back, to duck her head and apologize. Her skin was brilliant and the heat rolled off her in waves. She knew it was more than her hands and arms.

"What are you doing?" She snapped. "Stop using your quirk."

"I won't." Her voice held a hard edge to it.

"What did you say?!"

"You wanted me to learn to control my quirk, I am in control." To prove it she clapped her hands together and held them tight. Her mother winced at the sound. Hurt was added to the mix of emotions. Did she really think that Amaterasu would hurt her? After all the years growing up, controlling her anger, tamping down her feelings, striving not to be a burden, not wanting to disappoint her parents. It was never good enough. They simply didn't want her to be her. Mr. Aizawa was right, a quirk was part of someone and it couldn't be taken away except by force. Her quirk was always going to be there.

"I think... I'm the one who deserved an apology." Amaterasu stated evenly, trying not to betray any of her emotions, though her skin was already doing that.

"Excuse me?" Her mother was taken aback for a brief second before the anger surged back. "Why do you think you deserve an apology?

Her body started shaking, from anger instead of fear. "For the way you and dad have treated me for my entire life!" She shouted standing up so fast that her chair fell over behind her. "I am not so different from others! My quirk is normal compared to some. Because I've been isolated I can't control it well. Because you didn't let me learn as a child I am unstable. Because you never let me leave the house I'm afraid. I do NOT deserve to be treated this way!!" She was blinding now, she could tell because her mother had to tilt her head away and shade her face with her hand.

"We were only trying to protect you-" Her father started to say when he came into the room.

"No. You were trying to protect everyone else. Which I get. I agree that I was out of control, but you didn't let me learn." She snapped at him.

"What do you want?" Her mother asked.

"I'm leaving. I won't stay here. You can find me when your mindset changes and you can accept me. All of me. My quirk included." She said and walked past her father. She didn't look at either of them, she didn't even put her shoes on. The door handle heated up, melted, and bent as she touched it. She yanked the door closed behind her.

She was still glowing, she could see it in the reflection of the buildings that she passed as she ran wildly. Tears raced down her face. She finally stood up for herself. She didn't have a home anymore. She had hurt her parents. She didn't have anything left or anywhere to go. Or so she thought. Soon the streets and turns began to look familiar and she kept going until she was standing at the locked gate of the UA High School.

Now that she stopped and could breathe, she sat on the ground, slightly behind a nearby bush and cried. She cried until she felt like she couldn't cry anymore, until her eyes were raw and her nose was stuffy. She sat until her skin started to cool down and the glow began to fade. Once she was calm, she fell asleep against the fence.