CHAPTER 4

I felt like a creep walking around the library, trying to catch a glimpse of her face while her nose was buried in one of the textbooks. Even her hair was perfect, how is that even possible? I knew that I would never forgive myself if I didn't shoot my shot at her, so here I was, probably looking like a dork, thinking of a lame pick-up line that she has probably heard a million times before.

"Didn't mummy ever tell you it was rude to stare?" She lifted her face from the textbook, and the moment our eyes connected, I felt complete. Call me cheesy, but I have never felt this way. Oh, who am I kidding, she was just a hot chick, nothing else.

"I prefer to call her mother, but yes, she did..." I wasn't quite sure what I should tell her next, but my mind does wonders when it is placed in a rough spot. "You see, I study art and my professors always tell me that I have to appreciate the beauty of art."

"Pardon me, but it sounds like your professors suck." She rolled her eyes and chuckled, diving her nose back into the book a couple of seconds later.

"So, since I made you laugh, perhaps I could get your number?"

"Oh, so now I have to give my number to everyone who makes me laugh?"

"Not everyone, but you might as well start with me. I am assuming you are new here since I've never seen you at our university's student gatherings."

"Maybe you didn't look hard enough."

"Trust me, I have never seen you before. Maybe you need a quick tour around the campus?" I asked, hoping that she would agree.

"No, thank you."

"Alright, then give me your number and I won't disturb your little studying session."

"How about I don't give you my number and you leave me alone; this will never work out."

"Why so?"

"Since you are not my type."

"And what exactly is your type?"

"Hmmm, let's see, people who keep minding their own business, don't stare at others, don't flirt with anyone that breathes."

"I mean, you are in luck then. As I told you, I was just engaging with a work of art since it is a meaningful and lasting experience. And I do not have a flirty personality, I am just charming, nothing else."

"Oh, I forgot to add, most importantly, my type doesn't have a fragile ego."

"And why would you think that I have a fragile ego?"

"I rejected you, and look at you, still standing here trying to get my number."

"It doesn't mean that I have a fragile ego, it just means that I have ambitions."

"I told you this once, this will never happen. Now, please let me read in silence."

I was starting to lose my chillness.

"Look, just because you look like some sort of goddess doesn't mean you can shush people away when you please. I was just trying to be friendly and help you out around campus, but oh well, since you are an ice-cold bitch, I guess you can go and fuck yourself. Good luck with your studies." I was about to storm off when I heard her mumbling to herself.

"You really don't have a fragile ego, eh?"

"Listen, sweetie, just because you are hot doesn't make you a good fucking person. Go read something about personal development, nobody likes a shitty personality." I really didn't need any more negativity in my life. I turned around and left without looking at her. I never get mad when I get rejected, but I guess there is a first time for everything.

______

I was about to ditch today's lectures since I was angry and somehow still hungover. There was no point in me being here and being grumpy. To my luck, as I was leaving university, I met Dani.

"Hey there, stranger. Why the fuck is Andrew going around telling people that you want to kiss your uncle?"

"What do you mean I want to kiss my uncle?"

"I don't know, you tell me. I am really confused, Grace."

"I just didn't want to talk with him anymore, so I probably just zoned out and said anything to escape the useless conversation I was having."

"Well, I think there are far better things to say or do than expressing that you want to kiss your uncle, dude."

"Don't 'dude' me, Dani. I'm not in the mood, I'm leaving."

"The hell you are. Come on, Grace, you are already here. Just stay so we can go home together."

I groaned. Dani was right; I had already used all my powers to get up from bed this morning, so there was no point in going home.

I went to our classroom and greeted all the friends I hadn't seen in a while. Most of them thought I had already had enough and dropped out, but hey, I am full of surprises.

"Grace, did you hear that our favorite professor decided to quit his job?" one of the girls I was friends with asked.

"No fucking way. I hope this is some bullshit you made up."

"Why would I? Seriously, I hope we get someone as good as him."

"Well, now I can drop out of university without any guilt, I guess. He was the only one I actually respected and tolerated."

"Come on, Grace, it's our last year. You would be stupid to drop out now."

"Good morning, class. I will be your lecturer for this semester."

Wait a minute, I know that voice. Yep, there she was, the girl from the library. I would've never guessed that she was a lecturer and not a student. She looked fairly young, but I guess age can be deceiving.

"Fucking great," I mumbled to my friend.

"What's that?"

"I tried to flirt with her earlier, she rejected me, and I told her to go fuck herself."

She started laughing out loud. "No fucking way, Grace."

As I lifted my eyes, I was met with a smirk on our new lecturer's face.

"Well, now I can officially drop out."

"Don't talk nonsense. Just talk to her after we're done and apologize sincerely."

I was waiting for everyone to leave the room. Andrew and some other guys were too "friendly," chatting with our new lecturer. I silently groaned in frustration while waiting for them to stop flirting with her.

"Hey guys, let's meet up at the bar in 30, yeah?" I cleared my throat and began approaching them and her. Andrew turned to face me, his smile threatening to slip by his lips.

"As long as you will be kissing me and not your uncle, sure," he stated as he was chuckling. Confusion was written on everyone's faces, and I didn't dare to look her in the eyes.

"Andrew, don't be a jackass. That's not what I meant, and you know it. I had to hurry to the library."

"Since when does our little Grace go to the library?" One of my other friends joined the conversation. I just wanted them to bug off so I could talk to her one on one.

"That's true. I've never seen Grace in the library, and I spend a lot of time there after classes." I felt her looking at me and smirking even without looking at her, how embarrassing..

"Alright guys, can we just meet up at the bar soon or not? If so, go get ready. The last one to enter the bar is paying," I said. I really hoped this made them leave the classroom as soon as possible. I will also have to text Dani and ask her to join us to the bar.

They gathered their things, said their goodbyes, and went out of the classroom. Now I was left in this awkward and stupid situation with her. How should I start apologizing? Hey, I'm sorry for flirting with you. I didn't know you would be our lecturer. Or sorry for calling you a bitch, telling you to fuck off, and saying that you have a shitty personality.