Summer Bank Holiday

"You look like a lobster."

Words: 1614

-

"There's one in the medicine chest, I believe," Autumn called up the stairs.

She double checked the list she'd written out in her notes on her phone the night before. Every item she was tasked with remembering for their day at the beach was in her bag apart from one item: the sun cream.

"Here you are, my darling," Winter beamed, stepping his way down the last few stairs and over to her.

"Thank you, my sweet."

Autumn took the bottle of sun cream from Winter and checked the expiry date on the back before stuffing it into the side of the bag. One last tick mark on her list, and everything was ready for their beach day.

It was much too warm of a day to spend any time outside, but sitting in front of a fan indoors was not exactly what Winter was happy to do this weekend. The weather, apart from the temperature, was very inviting. The sun was out; the sky was a bright cerulean blue. Plus, with the summer bank holiday giving them a three-day weekend away from work and all of the adverts around them for summer activities making Winter a bit nostalgic, he'd convinced Autumn to go for a day at the beach. If she were being honest, she was definitely craving a bit of time in the sun, which was not something she wanted too often. Nor was it for Winter, either, so the mutual interest was surprising and well-received.

They had planned their semi-spontaneous outing tactfully, choosing on that way-too-hot Saturday night to go on Sunday rather than Monday, the actual day of the holiday. The beach would certainly be busier than normal both days, but most of the holiday crowd could be avoided by going the day before.

Autumn slung the beach bag over her shoulder, replaced her glasses with gold-rimmed sunglasses, and turned to look behind herself. Winter had just slipped on his shoes and grabbed the small cooler of drinks and snacks when he looked up at her, his breath catching in his throat.

She knew better than to overdo it, especially when they would be in public, but he was just too easy. This was her game, and she loved it.

Her suit was a simple burgundy one-piece. This wasn't something new to him. It was the middle of summer and they'd been swimming several times while she was in this suit. She'd added a sheer, lacy kaftan over the top for the drive and simple pair of braided sandals. Her hair was tied back in a loose bun with smaller sections in the front framing her face.

Autumn gave Winter a moment to gaze before interrupting him.

"Come on, you," she smirked, raising her eyebrows over the rims of her sunglasses in amusement as she turned on her toes and waltzed out the front door.

"This woman is going to be the death of me," Winter mumbled to himself, squeezing his eyes shut as he tried desperately to clear his head.

The drive to the beach was uneventful, but once they'd arrived, finding parking was a bit of a task. Fortunately for them, Winter had been on some sort of luck streak in the realm of car parks. Though he would like to say that in the heat of the summer he had mastered the art of finding the best spot, it really boiled down to luck every time.

Car parked, belongings gathered, they both made their way through the car park and down the beach to find the perfect space for their day. Autumn paced ahead of Winter, hoping to quickly hunt down a place with fewer people around. She wanted a peaceful spot right along the water, where she could dip her feet in to keep herself cool but avoid being splashed by nearby children or rambunctious teenagers. All she wanted from her day was to relax under her umbrella, read her book, and enjoy the warmth from the sun.