thirteen. an argument

Selene was wrapped in blankets, watching as Lori and Carol tried to help Hershel with his leg. There was blood everywhere, and Selene was close to throwing up. Elowyn stood behind her, arms crossed, looking towards the main room of the cell block where Daryl, Rick, and T-Dog were arguing with the surviving prisoners.

Lori and Carol were whispering to each other while Selene focused on the sounds of Hershel's injured flesh being tended to. The noise physically hurt her ears, causing her to shake in disgust. She squeezed the blankets around her body and pulled them closer.

"If we can get him through this—"

"When we get him through this," Lori quickly corrected. Selene looked at Lori, watching as the water she was using to clean her hands washed the crimson color off her skin.

"—we'll need crutches," Carol finished as she wrapped sheets around Hershel's leg to stop the bleeding.

Selene turned her head when she heard whispers and glanced at Glenn and Carl, but their mouths weren't moving. She furrowed her eyebrows, stood up, and walked out of the cell, looking around to see if anyone was there. Nothing.

Selene furrowed her eyebrows once more and walked toward the whispers she heard. She was in a hallway, and the whispers were echoing throughout it. She tried to listen, but they made her left ear hurt. She wondered why she couldn't hear them with her right ear, but she wasn't focused on that.

Selene turned the corner of the hallway and saw a doorway labeled 'INFIRMARY.' She opened the door and peaked in. The room was dirty, with shelves knocked over and debris covering the entire floor, along with deceased bodies. Suddenly, the whispers grew louder. Selene covered her left ear and walked in, trying to find the source of the whispers.

Clank.

Selene turned around and widened her eyes when she saw her dad. She knew this had to be a dream. She had witnessed her dad die three times; this was nothing but a stupid, immature dream.

"Hey, ladybug," her father said, and Selene's eyes widened. His voice echoed strangely, making it hard for her to tell if this was still a dream. Maybe she had been bitten and died, and now she was seeing her dad.

The girl shook her head, refusing to believe it for even a second. "You're not even real. You're dead!" Selene gripped her blankets and took a step back from the man.

"Dead?" He smiles.

Selene nodded, tilting her head as the man's face began to change. His skin turned pale, blood started dripping from random spots, his teeth began to rot, and scratches appeared all over his skin.

"Guess I am, little bug." His voice grew deeper as he stepped towards Selene, his hands reaching out for her. His words echoed, causing her left ear to ache.

Selene backed away, falling into the debris as she gripped her ear and squeezed her eyes shut. She heard a thud and opened her eyes, letting go of her ear when everything went silent. She saw her father's body on the floor. But this time, he looked different. It wasn't her dad; she was being delusional. It wasn't a dream.

"What are you doing in here?" Selene looked up and saw Carl. He had his silencer in his hands. Selene was jealous that he and Cyrus got to have guns, while she and Elowyn didn't. Rick had taken the gun Shane gave Elowyn before he passed, and Elowyn hadn't had a real conversation with him since. She had only really been talking to T-Dog.

"I..." Selene didn't want to tell Carl she was hearing things and saw her dad; she knew he might freak out and call her weird. Maybe. "I wanted to get some things for Hershel."

"Without your gun?"

"I don't have one."

"Oh." Carl shrugged and helped Selene off the piles of trash and medical supplies, giving her a strange look. "Why is your ear bleeding?"