Chapter 1: Welcome to Copper 9

Goodrich: "I remember the gunshots... the screaming... so much blood."

Goodrich took a shaky breath, his eyes distant. "I was the only one who survived. My parents... my sister... they were all killed. And my friend... she turned on us. She left me, just sitting there in the hallway outside the Gala. I was so scared... so broken. I could hear TF27 busting down doors, their footsteps getting closer and closer... until they found me."

...

...

Three dropships descended toward the surface of planet Copper 9, their engines roaring as they broke through the planet's atmosphere. Inside one of the dropships, Goodrich sat in silence, surrounded by the chatter of other TF27 soldiers. The metallic hum of the engine provided a constant background noise, blending with the soldiers' conversations.

Goodrich placed his gas mask on his face. He felt a light tap on his right shoulder and turned to look at his friend, 105.

 He felt a light tap on his right shoulder and turned to look at his friend, 105

105 sat right next to Goodrich. He wrote in his notebook and showed it to Goodrich: "Are you okay?"

Goodrich: Gives a thumbs up. "I'm fine. Just thinking."

105 wrote down again: "I'm worried about him."

Goodrich: "He's on a top-secret mission; our director ordered him to do this. He'll be back as soon as possible."

105: Another note: "Are you worried about him too?"

Goodrich: "Yes."

At that moment, a voice from the loudspeaker caused Goodrich to look up.

Raven (over the loudspeaker): "We've almost arrived at the location of the abandoned Task Force 19 command base. Get ready to land."

Goodrich: "Finally, almost there." He looked at 105. "Careful, there's going to be a lot of snow. Hope you like snow."

Three dropships landed on the snowy landscape outside the abandoned Task Force 19 underground command base in a mountain. The harsh wind howled as the soldiers disembarked, their boots crunching on the icy ground.

The squad leader spoke up to the group.

Spectre 1-1: "Listen up, men. The Task Force 19 command base has friendly worker drones who know how to use weapons. Spectre 2 and 3, guard the ship. My team and 105 are going inside."

All TF27 soldiers: "Yes, sir."

Spectre 1-1: "Goodrich and 105, take the point at the entrance."

Goodrich: Nods. "Yes, sir."

Goodrich and 105 approached the entrance with Spectre 1 and three soldiers following behind them. Goodrich saw the base entrance—its metal door had been ripped open.

Goodrich: He motioned for his team to stop. "Sir, the door's been ripped open."

Spectre 1-1: "This is bad."