Rough Seas

Y/N stood before her mother, Queen Hyejin, in the grand chamber of the royal palace. The room was bathed in the soft glow of bioluminescent coral, casting gentle shadows against the tapestries that adorned the walls depicting the island's history and the lineage of their royal family.

"Mother," Y/N began, her voice steady yet tinged with determination, "I believe it would be beneficial for me to accompany the cargo ships on their journey across the sea. It is important for a future queen to be familiar with our surroundings and the kingdoms beyond our shores."

Queen Hyejin regarded her daughter with a mixture of pride and concern. "Y/N, you know the dangers that lie beyond our island," she replied, her voice carrying the weight of years of protective concern. "The sea is unpredictable, and our duty is to ensure your safety and well-being."

Y/N pressed on, her resolve unwavering. "But Mother, I am not afraid," she insisted, her eyes shining with a fervent desire for adventure. "I wish to learn, to understand the world that lies beyond our borders. It will make me a stronger and more capable future queen."

Queen Hyejin hesitated, torn between her daughter's determination and her own fears. Finally, with a sigh, she relented. "Very well," she conceded reluctantly. "But on one condition: Prince Taehyun shall accompany you to ensure your safety and represent our kingdom."

Y/N's heart sank at the mention of an arranged escort. "Mother," she protested, her voice tinged with frustration, "I appreciate your concern, but I can handle this journey on my own. Lady Jiyeon can accompany me as my advisor."

Queen Hyejin's brow furrowed in concern, but she nodded in agreement. "Very well, if Lady Jiyeon agrees to accompany you, then I shall not stand in your way," she relented, her voice tinged with a mother's worry.
——
Y/N  stood resolute on the deck of the cargo ship, her eyes fixed on the horizon as the vessel sliced through the shimmering waters under the watchful gaze of the moon. Lady Jiyeon, her trusted advisor, stood beside her, her silver hair catching the moonlight as she surveyed the night sky with a mixture of concern and vigilance.

The journey across the sea had begun with optimism and determination. Queen Hyejin had reluctantly agreed to Y/N's request to accompany the cargo ships, emphasizing the importance of understanding the world beyond their island home. However, her mother's condition that Lady Jiyeon accompany her was a compromise Y/N had accepted begrudgingly.

As the night wore on, the calm sea transformed into a tempestuous force of nature. Dark clouds gathered overhead, obscuring the stars and casting an ominous shadow over the ship. The wind howled through the rigging, and waves rose and fell with ferocious intensity, threatening to engulf the vessel in their relentless fury.

Y/N clung to the railing, her heart pounding with a mixture of fear and exhilaration. Beside her, Lady Jiyeon stood steadfast, her expression a mask of composure despite the growing turbulence. "Princess Y/N," she called out over the rising wind, her voice tinged with concern, "we should consider turning back. This storm is unlike any I've seen before."

But Y/N shook her head resolutely, her eyes fixed on the distant horizon. "We must press on," she insisted, her voice barely audible above the roar of the wind and crashing waves. "This journey is important, not just for me, but for our kingdom."

Lady Jiyeon nodded reluctantly, her silver eyes reflecting the flickering light of the storm-tossed sea. "Very well, Princess," she conceded, her tone laced with apprehension. "But we must remain vigilant. The sea is unforgiving, and we cannot afford to underestimate its power."

As the crew worked tirelessly to navigate through the storm, Y/N's thoughts drifted to her kingdom and her responsibilities as a future queen. She had always yearned for adventure, for the freedom to explore beyond the shores of Saebyeol Island. Yet now, faced with the harsh reality of the open sea, she found herself grappling with fear and uncertainty.

Hours passed with the storm raging unabated. Lightning streaked across the sky, illuminating the churning waves and the determined faces of the crew. Y/N stood at the prow of the ship, her gaze fixed on the tumultuous sea, when suddenly, disaster struck.

A colossal wave, towering like a titan, crashed over the bow of the ship with deafening force. Y/N and Lady Jiyeon were thrown to the deck, their bodies slamming against the unforgiving wood. The ship groaned and shuddered under the impact, its timbers protesting against the relentless onslaught of wind and water.

"Lady Jiyeon!" Y/N cried out, scrambling to her feet amidst the chaos. She reached out to help her advisor, but another wave struck, knocking them both off balance. Y/N felt herself being dragged towards the railing, the icy grip of the sea threatening to claim her.

With desperate strength, Y/N managed to grab onto the railing, but Lady Jiyeon was not so fortunate. The force of the wave tore her from Y/N's grasp, sending her tumbling into the churning waters below.

"NO!" Y/N screamed, her voice lost in the roar of the storm. She watched in horror as Lady Jiyeon disappeared beneath the waves, her silver hair vanishing into the dark abyss.

Driven by instinct and determination, Y/N dove into the sea without hesitation. The icy water enveloped her, stealing her breath and dragging her deeper into its murky depths. She kicked against the current, her heart pounding with fear and determination.

Seconds felt like hours as Y/N searched desperately for any sign of Lady Jiyeon. Just as she felt her strength waning, her fingers brushed against fabric—a torn piece of Lady Jiyeon's gown. With renewed hope, Y/N followed the trail, diving deeper into the darkness.

Finally, she spotted Lady Jiyeon's limp form drifting aimlessly in the water. With a surge of adrenaline, Y/N reached out, pulling her advisor close despite the weight of her waterlogged clothing. Together, they kicked towards the surface, their lungs burning for air.

As they broke through the surface, gasping and coughing, Y/N's relief was short-lived. The storm raged on around them, and the sinking ship loomed ominously in the distance. They clung to each other, their strength waning as the relentless sea threatened to claim them once more.

"Lady Jiyeon," Y/N murmured through chattering teeth, "we must swim for the lifeboats. We cannot stay here."

But Lady Jiyeon shook her head weakly, her breath ragged from exertion. "Go, Princess," she urged, her voice barely audible over the howling wind. "Save yourself. I... I cannot go on."

"No!" Y/N protested, her voice breaking with emotion. "I won't leave you here."

Lady Jiyeon smiled faintly, her silver eyes reflecting the pale moonlight. "You are strong, Princess Y/N," she murmured, her voice filled with pride. "You have the courage and determination to lead our kingdom."

With one final effort, Y/N summoned every ounce of strength within her, successfully pushing Lady Jiyeon towards the distant lifeboats. However, the strong waves kept Y/n from getting on.

Alone in the tumultuous sea, Y/N fought against the crushing weight of grief and guilt. She struggled to stay afloat, her body growing numb with cold and exhaustion. As darkness closed in around her, she felt herself slipping beneath the surface once more.

Just as all hope seemed lost, a glimmer of light pierced the darkness—a beacon of salvation amidst the tempestuous sea. A figure emerged from the depths, powerful and ethereal, reaching out to Y/N with outstretched arms.