Chapter One: The Awakening of Deepspace

DAY 1326 ATTENTION:
TARGET ANCHOR LOST.
NO RESPONSE FROM BASE.

Traceback Il is about to pass the event horizon and enter the black hole. We are stuck in this loop... This never-ending journey...

"Good morning, Linkon City. DPSC FM here to greet you on this early morning. Did you sleep well last night? Weather's nice today with winds at 5 km/hr. Certain areas have a higher Metaflux index due to the Deepspace Tunnel. Expect Wanderers to appear more often.

We would like to thank the hunters in the city for allowing us to live a normal, peaceful life. Next, a detailed report for each district. Areas that are at "high risk" of being attacked by Wanderers— All medical personnel, please get ready. Today is going to be another busy day.

We now have a message for all the new hunters who recently passed their exams. Now that your journey is about to begin, we want to express our deepest gratitude and wish you all the best... as you face the challenges ahead! And... that's all for today.

But before we go, please enjoy this gift we received from Deepspace 14 years ago: Love and Deepspace. These electromagnetic signals have traversed time and space. A miracle of the ages. One day, we will be able to evolve from our current limitations, transcend the boundaries of life.... and reach the stars. At a certain moment in the future... we can pass through the Deepspace Tunnel... And discover the future awaiting us."

~~~

The year was 2048, and MC was about to dedicate herself to a new life as a Hunter. At 22 years old, her heart pounded with a mixture of excitement and anxiety. Her initiation into the Hunter's Association marked the beginning of her journey to combat the dangerous Wanderers which had made their way through the Deepspace Tunnel after a cataclysmic event 14 years ago.

She stood tall, surrounded by soon to be fellow classmates listening to the President's address. He explained to everyone their new purpose as a Hunter, to protect Linkon City from these wanderers and aid in the research and prevention of further attacks in future. The Deepspace Hunters would be required to react to energy fluctuations which signalled the presence of these Wanderers.

"...Fourteen years ago, the Deepspace Tunnel appeared above Linkon. It led to anomalous geomagnetic storms, and the creatures known as Wanderers emerged. From such an event, the Deepspace Hunter was born. Now society has returned to a sense of normalcy, but there are still Wanderers lurking in the shadows..."

Whilst the President continued with his speech, a young girl with a thick brown bob leant over towards her, a hand covering her mouth.
"After they hand out our badges, we'll be assigned to a squad, which will determine our future. Aren't you nervous?" She whispered.

Although exciting, MC felt more anxiety than anything else. Although she knew this was her path, she knew she was signing up to face the very enemies that brought on that event 14 years ago... Trying to seem confident, she spoke with resolve, shaking her head,
"That won't change the outcome. It's better to stay calm."

They both turned their attention back to the President.
"Our goal as Hunters is to extract Protocores from Wanderers- In hopes of destroying them once and for all!" The president then went on to congratulate all of the initiates who had made it to through all of the selection criteria.
"That being said, congratulations on passing the selection process. We are grateful for your hard work. We will now begin the ceremony and hand out badges to the new Deepspace Hunters. First candidate, 606696."

The girl next to her turned to her again,
"That's you isn't it? Hurry! Get on stage!" She whispered, seemingly unable to control her excitement.

MC then approached the stage, stepping up to confirm her information and receive her badge.
"Hello, sir." She nodded to the president.
"Place your hand here to confirm your personal info."