Unexpected Partners

The following morning, Kehinde and Abi navigated their shared cabin with the careful politeness of strangers forced into close quarters. Kehinde brewed coffee while Abi prepared tea, each casting curious glances at the other when they thought they weren't being observed.

The day's itinerary included a singles paddle boating class. Abi had signed up weeks in advance, looking forward to some solitary time on the lake. As she approached the dock, she was surprised to see Kehinde there as well, adjusting a life vest with a frustrated expression.

"You're here too?" Abi asked, raising an eyebrow.

Kehinde shrugged. "Needed something to do. Plus, I figured it might be relaxing."

Their initial reluctance was palpable, but they had no choice but to participate together. As they paddled across the serene lake, their irritation slowly gave way to a begrudging camaraderie. Abi was impressed by Kehinde's determination, and Kehinde found Abi's calmness surprisingly soothing.

After the class, they headed back to the main lodge, where the day's activities were posted. Among them was a pasta-making class, and to their mutual surprise, both had signed up for it.

"Guess we're stuck together again," Abi remarked, trying to keep her tone light.

"Seems like it," Kehinde replied, a hint of a smile tugging at his lips.

The class turned out to be a pleasant distraction. Kneading dough and crafting pasta from scratch, they found themselves laughing over shared mistakes and successes. Abi discovered that Kehinde had a surprisingly gentle side, and Kehinde was struck by Abi's quick wit and easygoing nature.

By the end of the class, the tension between them had noticeably eased. As they carried their trays of freshly made pasta back to the cabin, Abi broke the silence.

"Maybe this wasn't such a bad mix-up after all," she said, glancing at Kehinde.

He nodded, smiling. "Maybe not. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?"

The accidental companionship was turning into something more—a connection neither of them had anticipated. And as the sun set over the peaceful retreat, both Kehinde and Abi found themselves looking forward to what lay ahead.