s e v e n

Pale sunlight streamed through my window, shining upon my face and waking me from my pleasant slumber. A wide grin spread across my face as I remembered the events of last night.

Stretching my hand across to the side where Brayden slept, I met with nothing but cold sheets. A pit grew in my stomach as my smile fell. I reached to touch the pillow, as if the sheets were liars. The pillow lacked the warmth of body heat as well, proving that he had been gone for a while. But why would Brayden just take off without a trace?

Although, this scenario isn't really that shocking, given his nature. Who knows how many shots he may have taken before returning to the table last night.

For all I know, everything could have been nothing but a drunken illusion to him. Brayden probably assumed the worst when he woke in bed with a girl he couldn't instantly recognize and vanished before she did the same. The thought made me sick to my stomach.

I snapped out of my sad daydream, but I had a feeling today was gonna be low anyways. Mostly because I still had to go into work, despite it being the weekend.

I work completely independently, so if I want keep myself alive and with a roof over my head, I must work everyday.

Today I just wanted to be alone, binge-watching sitcoms on Netflix like ordinary eighteen year old girls dealing with boy drama. I drug my hands down my face, releasing a loud groan. Longing to just disappear from the world for the day.

........

After solemnly getting dressed and moping down the street with my headphones up high, I arrived at my father's record shop. I half expected Brayden to be already there to annoy me, which he never truly did. Much to my dismay, there was no sign of the tattooed boy.

I fumbled through my pockets and grasped the keys with shaky hands, unlocking the back door. I pushed it open quickly, as if I expected someone to be inside to surprise me. Once again, there was nothing.

The record shop itself seemed to be quite dismal, as well. The dark clouds outside cast a faint grayish blue light over the endless rows of records. The aisles between them were only slightly illuminated by the pale light, creating a chasm-like appearance. I let out a defeated sigh, today was going to be far from my best.

........

My seemingly dreary day had gone quite well, contrary to my original notions. Pleased with myself, I decided to celebrate.

After closing everything up, I sauntered toward the shop's stereo we used to play soft music for customers. I skipped through the mixtape I had created until the track number read "23." I cranked the volume all the way up as the first few notes of Shawn Mendes' "Stitches" flowed through the speakers.

Closing my eyes and stretching my arms into the air, I let the music flow through me and ease my worried soul. Releasing all my inhibitions, I jumped up and danced like no one was watching as the chorus dropped.

........

Once the song had ended, I shut off the stereo and all of the lights. My impromptu dance session was successful in releasing my nerves.

Heading out of the shop, I locked the back door and began my trek. The happy vibes from the soulful melody still flowing through me as I grinned and hummed the tune. I pulled out my phone:

To Brayden:
Hey, do you wanna come over for dinner tonight?

I re-read the text over and over in my head, debating on pressing those little blue letters that read 'send.' Biting my lip, my finger tapped the fateful button and I watched as the small blue bubble formed.