Chapter Seven

Waking up at around 5:30 a.m., sir and ma'am always expected breakfast and a clean house. Meaning they also expected that I would naturally wake up before the sun rises. I decided to take a shower, as I have one more pair of clean clothes left. Sitting up in bed, I try to hold back a sob as my ribs sear in pain. The deep cuts on my back aren't making it any easier. Wounds usually never hurt me this much. They're always painful, but never for this long.

I finally stand and pause so I don't fall down due to the sudden dizziness. It's okay, Aurora; you've had worse, I tell myself as I make my way to my backpack. I quickly take out the bottle of painkillers and swallow two. This should help.

I grab my pair of dark washed-out jeans, a snug long-sleeve gray henley style shirt, and my underwear. I head to the bathroom, quietly turning on the shower and setting my clothes down on the counter. Can I use hot water here?

Sir and ma'am forbade me from taking hot showers, but Valen hadn't mentioned any rules restricting the use of warm water. Deciding to just play it safe, I turn the shower on cold and undress. Without looking into the mirror, I head into the shower; my own reflection horrifies me.

The cold water makes me stiffen slightly, but after a couple seconds it feels relaxing. The freezing water runs down the cuts on my back, making the ones struggling to scab sting. But I feel refreshed and slightly at peace.

Showers have always been the one thing that can help me calm down—the one place where I can be alone and comfortable. I massage the luxurious strawberry-scented shampoo into my hair and rinse it out. I didn't know soap could smell this nice. I start conditioning my wavy curls in the moisturizing strawberry conditioner and letting the suds race into the drain below. I continue with my shower and scrub my body with the soap provided. This is strawberry too? Whoever picked out my stuff surely has good taste.

Exiting the shower, I carefully slide on my clothes so as to not aggravate any injuries. I brush through my hair and braid it into two French braids while it dries. An older substitute teacher taught me how to braid my hair once. She noticed how frizzy and dry the waves looked, so she pulled me aside and instructed me on how to manipulate my hair into tight ribbons.

The only issue was that I had forgotten to remove them before returning home.

After brushing my teeth, I debated whether to go downstairs or not. It's 7:00 a.m. Is that late enough to head down? Should I just stay in my room? Do they even want me down there? I determine I'm going to risk it and go down. Trying to remember my way, I finally made it to the kitchen downstairs and was surprised to see suit-clad Atticus at the counter drinking coffee.

"Buona giornata, tesoro," he greets over his steaming black mug. I give him a slightly confused look. I have no clue what you just said. "I said good morning," he explains while walking over to the sink and taking a final sip before rinsing out his cup.

"Oh, sorry. Good morning," I murmured.

"No need to be sorry, bambina. We'll teach you Italian someday," he chuckles as he reassures me. So it is Italian? I was right.

"So...you guys are Italian?" I ask hesitantly.

"Yes, we are, but so are you, Aurora. You're our sister," his smile falters a bit as he answers my question. I'm Italian too? That would make sense because they are, but I just never knew.

I never knew any of this.

"What would you like for breakfast, cara?" His volume lowers slightly and he looks at me with a smirk. "Not to brag, but I am the best chef here," he boasts smugly.