Home

Inizia a scrivere la tua storia

And I'm surrounded by
a million people I
I still feel alone
oh, let me come home
oh, I miss you, you know.

Derek sighed in relief as soon as he opened the front door of the house in the woods. The Dream House, as Meredith called it. It had been forever, and she still called it like that, and every time she did, he chuckled. He did so as well, in that moment, as he let the front door close behind his back.

Immediately, the scent - the beloved, familiar scent of Meredith, of their time together, of their life, of their kids - invaded his nostrils.

He had just come back from a week-long neurological conference in Boston, and he had found himself craving to be home more than anything. Meredith had been supposed to go with him - I'll take you out to dinner in the best restaurant of the city, we'll have sex all over our fancy hotel room, and you'll get to remember how fun you had in neuro - but Chief Bailey had scheduled a domino transplant specifically for that week, and had inform her Chief of General that she wasn't allowed to take time off in that situation.

Derek had been left with no other option but going alone and very much miss his wife and kids.

The following day was Thanksgiving, and if there had certainly been a time in which Meredith Grey would have gagged at the idea of a big family gathering for the holidays, present times were indeed different. Zola and Bailey were back from Dartmouth and Bowdoin, and Derek, even if bone tired from his trip, was supposed to help Maggie and whoever else was coming cook. A lot of things have changed, but Meredith Grey was still as useless as ever in the kitchen.

Derek dropped his bag near the door and lifted his gaze to meet a comforting, sweet scene: both his wife and his youngest daughter were leaning on the couch, each one of them with a blanket covering their legs. They were watching one of Ellis Grey's surgeries' video tape. Meredith was explaining the procedure to Ellis, the girl watching intently as she nervously bit her nails, her straight blonde hair up in a messy pony tail. The girl was still in high school, but she was extremely focused in copying Zola and going premed, and she was obsessed with her grandmother. The only Grey-Shepherd kid who wasn't obsessed with cutting people open and he was studying Sports Management (even if he seemed like just focused on playing baseball).

"Hi girls," Derek grinned. He couldn't wait anymore to reveal his presence to them.

"Daddy!" Ellis squealed, jumping off the couch and straight into his father's waiting arms. He embraced her body, lithe and light like her mother's, while she giggled happily. Her giggle was very similar to her mother as well, but after all, Ellis Grey was Meredith's carbon copy.

"How are you?" Derek asked, finding his daughter's green eyes, shape and shade exactly like Meredith's.

"Fine," she assured. "Mom and I were watching Grandma's miracles".

Derek caressed Ellis' face one last time and approached the couch, letting his tired body fall next to Meredith.

"Welcome home," she breathed. Derek gave her his best McDreamy smile, circling her shoulder with an arm, and he didn't waste time but leaned over and took her mouth with his. He kissed her repeatedly, happy to be home, while Ellis' gaze was again trained on her Grandmom, performing the Grey Method on the screen.

"How was your trip?" Meredith asked, smiling widely.

"Good," he nodded, pulling his fingers through her blonde hair. She had always worn them long and curly around her shoulders, but they've been straight and short for a while, now, reaching middle-neck. "Long and tiring. I would have liked it more if you would have been with me."