172 Years Before Her

( Bold is straight from source
Bold Line is "speaking" in the show
Bold Italic is High Valeryion)

As the first century of Targaryen dynasty came to a close, the health of the Old King, Jaeherys, was failing.

In those days, House Targaryen stood at the height of its strength, with ten adult dragons under its yoke. No power in the world could stand against it.

King Jaeherys reigned over nearly sixty years of prosperity, but tragedy had claimed both of his sons, leaving his succession in doubt.

So, in the year 101, the Old King called a Great Council, to choose an Heir. Over 1,000 Lords made the journey to Harenhall, 14 succession claims were heard.

But only two were truly considered.

Princess Rheanys Targaryen, the Kings eldest descendant, and her younger cousin, Prince Viserys Targaryen, the Kings eldest MALE descendant.

"It is  declared by all Lords Paramount  and Lords Vassal of the Seven Kingdoms that Prince Viserys Targaryen be made Prince of Dragonstone...."

Rheanys, a woman, would NOT inherit the Iron Throne. The Lord's instead chose Viserys, my father.

Jaeherys called the Great Council to prevent a war from being fought over his succession, for he knew the cold truth.

The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon.....

Was Itself.