A Love Reaffirmed

The city lights cast a soft glow through the curtains as Jeno and Karina settled into their cozy apartment. The air was thick with the scent of the dinner Karina had prepared, and Jeno couldn't help but feel a deep sense of contentment as he looked at his beautiful wife. He loved everything about her—the way her eyes sparkled when she laughed, the way she meticulously planned their lives, and the warmth of her presence. But lately, something had been off.

As they curled up on the couch watching Queen of Tears, Jeno reached out to pull Karina closer. His fingers brushed her arm, and he pecked her cheek then leaned in to kiss her neck. Karina smiled, but as Jeno's kisses grew more insistent, she suddenly pulled away, glancing at the TV.

"Hey, why is Baek Hyunwoo being arrested?" she said, pointing at the screen with sudden enthusiasm. "Noo, Yoon Eunsung is just so mean."

"Nah, you are meaner," Jeno whispered to himself, turning his attention to the show, though his thoughts were elsewhere. He sighed softly, masking his disappointment. This wasn't the first time she'd cut off their intimate moments lately. He missed the closeness they once shared, and her distance was starting to worry him.

Weeks passed, and the pattern continued. Karina began avoiding Jeno in subtle ways—working late, going to bed early, and finding excuses to be out of the house. The tension between them grew, an unspoken barrier that neither knew how to break.

One evening, as they sat across from each other at the dinner table, Jeno couldn't take it any longer. The silence was deafening, and his heart ached with the need to understand what was happening.

"Karina," he began, his voice gentle but firm. "We need to talk."

Karina looked up, her eyes wide with a mix of apprehension and guilt. "About what?"

Jeno reached across the table, taking her hand in his. "About us. About what's been going on between us. I feel like you're pulling away from me, and I don't know why."

"I—I've just been so overwhelmed. Work has been stressful, and I guess I've been taking it out on you. I'm sorry."

Jeno squeezed her hand, his heart breaking at the sight of her teary eyes. "I get that work can be tough, but it feels like more than that. I miss you, Karina. I miss us."

Karina's tears spilled over, and she nodded. "I miss us too. I love you so much, and I hate that I've been pushing you away."

Jeno stood up, moving around the table to pull her into his arms. "We'll get through this. Together. We always do."

Jeno gently tilted Karina's chin up, his eyes searching hers before he leaned in to kiss her. The kiss was soft at first, a tender reassurance, but quickly deepened as their emotions surged. Jeno's hands slid to her waist, and he lifted her effortlessly, setting her on the edge of the table.

Karina's arms wrapped around his neck, pulling him closer as their kiss grew more passionate. Jeno's hands roamed her back, pressing her body against his, unable to get enough of her. Without breaking the kiss, he scooped her up into his arms, carrying her to their bedroom.

They tumbled onto the bed, lips still locked, their breaths coming in quick, heated gasps. That night, they made love with a fervor that spoke of all the emotions they'd been holding back. Every touch, every kiss was a reaffirmation of their love and commitment. It was a night filled with whispered promises and tender touches, a powerful reminder of the strength of their bond.

A week later, Jeno was searching for a charger in their bedroom drawer. As he dug through the drawer, his fingers brushed against something small and cylindrical. Curious, he pulled it out and stared at the birth control pills in his hand. His heart sank, a cold sense of betrayal washing over him. All the progress they'd made, the intimacy they'd shared—had it all been a lie?

Karina walked into the room, her smile fading as she saw the pills in Jeno's hand and the expression on his face. She knew this conversation was inevitable, but she hadn't expected it to happen like this.

"Jeno, I can explain," she began, her voice trembling slightly. 

Jeno folded his arms across his chest, glaring at Karina, waiting for her excuse. His eyes were dark with hurt and anger, a stark contrast to the usual warmth she found there.

Karina's face paled, and her eyes fixed on the floor, unable to meet his gaze. "Jeno, I—I'm not ready to be a mom yet. I was afraid that having a baby would be a burden on you, on us."

"A burden?" Jeno's voice cracked with emotion. "You think I see our future child as a burden? Karina, we're supposed to face everything together. Why didn't you trust me enough to tell me how you felt?"

Karina's tears flowed freely now, her body shaking with sobs. "I'm so sorry, Jeno. I was scared. I didn't know how to tell you."

Jeno pulled her into a tight embrace, his own tears falling. "I wish you had told me, Karina. We could have figured this out together. I love you, and I want us to be ready when the time is right. But we can't hide things from each other."

Karina clung to him, her voice barely a whisper. "I promise, Jeno. No more secrets. We'll face everything together, just like we always do."

As they held each other, the storm of emotions began to calm. They knew the road ahead would have its challenges, but their love and commitment would guide them through. Jeno and Karina's journey to parenthood would come when they were both ready, and until then, they would cherish every moment, facing the future hand in hand.

_______________

Authors' note:

Fun fact: This whole story is inspired by just one word which is "CONTROLLER". (At 1:15 of Karina's solo "UP")

Karina might not be thinking about birth-controllers when she wrote the lyrics but when I heard that word the first thing that came to my mind was that thing. So, who can stop me if I want to do this, right? LOL