chapter 3

If Todd's eyes didn't decieve him, there was even a smirk on the dragon's face. He wasn't looking at anyone else, only directly at him. Todd broke in nervous sweat again and straightened his back, trying to look professional. They kept looking at eachother until Luciel broke eye contact a few moments later, raising his brows in satisfaction and looking back up to the people of business he was speaking to.

Close call, he thinks.

After what felt like hours, the meeting ended. The king should be escorted back to him room. However, he gestured for the guards to leave his presence.

"You. Wait." Two simple words left his mouth and Todd knew they were directed at him.

He froze and slowly turned around, trying to even his breath out. Why was he panicking?

"Yes, your highness?" He said in a lowered, quiet voice.

Luciel stared at him for a few seconds, his eyes studying him. "What's your name?"

"...Mark, my lord."

"Unit?"

He panicked at this question. of course they had Units to differ between one job and another. Of course the king wouldn't be stupid enough to not know who he appoints as a guard.

"..." Todd replied with deafening silence.

"That's what I thought. Dropped the helmet, 'Mark'." his voice was that of teasing the other at the end of his sentence. Todd couldn't help but feel embarrased at his awful plan.

He slowly reached up to his helmet, taking it off followed by a sharp intake of breathe. He didn't realize how suffocating it is for his head to be inside the helmet for so long.

....Especially that he had his side mask on.

Luciel took one more good look at him, then exhaled slowly.

"Take off that armor. you must be sweating." Todd moved to find a secluded area before Luciel stopped him. "-Infront of me." He began to suspect the sweat was more that just heat from the weight of the armor.

Todd sighed before stripping thr armor away, trying not to focus at Luciel's gaze on him. Once he was done, he looked back up at the king, having his usual clothes on.

"So, Who are you?" Luciel started again. This was Todd's chance to use his secondary plan, he could play the role of a normal person who had too-high-ambitions.

"A mere commoner, your highness. I apologize for the incon-"

"Apologies won't do now, would they? this is threatening afterall. How about you go make me something to eat as a start? I'm starving."

Todd felt embarrassed from how his plans were going, but recognized that he needed to be extremely careful and ignore all the shame that crept up his back. What would a king want for a treat? Todd only cooked for one royal in his life. He knew tea was his favourite. He looked back at Luciel to ask for the location of the kitchen, only to find him already pointing towards it. He swiftly walked to it. Thankfully the main course was already prepared by servant girls. He didn't have to embarrass himself any more than he's already done. He was thankful he didn't have any importance of name or title in the blood running through his veins.