Chapter 2: Sensitive Topic

"Ebony?"

"Ebony?"

I was pulled out of my reverie when Julie tapped my shoulder. The look of concern caught me off guard. I fidgeted, anxious that I had done something wrong. Did I offend her? Was I not paying attention to something she said? 

"You've been staring at that cookie for five minutes now. Are you gonna eat that or just put it on display? Or is there a hidden message there that other humans can't see?"

Oh. For a second there, I thought she was mad at me. I internally scolded myself for overthinking again, especially when it is common knowledge that Julie, sweet and sassy Julie, never gets angry at me. I can't remember the last time she took anything seriously. Maybe that's the reason why I have the closest relation to her despite having twelve other cousins in our large family tree.

"Where did you get that anyway? They don't sell sweets here anymore, not after the dean found out he was diabetic," Julie rolled her eyes and pointed a fork at me. Her plate of pasta is already half-eaten. It looked like a decent meal, but she didn't look too happy with it. "Unless you bought that outside? Hey, you should've bought me one too. No fair!"

I smiled politely when she was about to reach out for it.

"I think I'll eat it after lunch."

"Selfish!" She joked dramatically.

Julie has always been a carefree and friendly spirit, adored by everyone---both young and old.

Meanwhile, I'm the exact opposite.

Sometimes I think everyone dislikes me.

'So I guess opposites do attract one another,' I concluded and started poking a fork at my green peas.

While Julie was busy chatting with someone on her phone, I glanced at the cookie in question, lying on top of my notebook like a paperweight. I know it's unhygienic to leave a cookie out in the open like this, especially inside the school cafeteria, but I just can't find the heart to consume it.

A part of me reasoned out that it was because I don't know where this cookie came from so there's a possibility that I might get food poisoning. Absurd, but can you blame me for thinking of such odd scenarios in an equally odd place like this? And I admit, the other part of me just can't bring myself to touch that cookie because I still couldn't move on from the idea of a ghost leaving it for me.

Much less, the famous Library Ghost that lurks at The Eastwood Archives at midnight.

'Can ghosts write notes now too? How strange.'

And the ghost even complimented my essay, even though it's still unedited. I do not doubt in my mind that a library ghost knows a thing or two about literature. If only he could help me proofread it, then my life would be so much easier.

Wait...

Maybe he (or she) can help me with my other assignments too?

I sighed, knowing my thoughts were all over the place again. No twenty-something college student in their right mind would even dare entertain the idea of meddling with the paranormal. I don't know if this is the effect of social isolation or if I'm just subconsciously looking for an excuse to put myself in danger. Messed up, I know. But I have little to care about, so why not?

"...you should've attended that party with me! Last night was wild! Do you know how many beer cases they pulled out of Steve's truck? Ten! Freaking ten cases of beer!" Julie exasperatedly narrated her experience.

A moment later, she eyed me with scrutiny. "By the way, at least tell me you had fun last night. What were you up to, anyway? Have you..."

Her words hung in the air and I immediately felt guilty for no apparent reason. I quickly pulled up my hands in defense and shook my head, "N-No! I mean, I didn't do anything crazy last night. It was uneventful!" Save for the fact that the library ghost read my essay and left me an apology cookie.

Julie eyed me for a second longer before she bursted out laughing. The other students immediately turned to our table and I tilted my head down in embarrassment.

"I was about to ask if you've already been hooking up with someone as a joke, but seeing how red your face is... tell me, who's the lucky guy? I told you boys in Eastwood are far more attractive than those in your hometown!"

I looked at her incredulously. Did she just say that?

"Julie, you know what I've been through... moving on is not that easy."

"Ebony," she called out. "It's been six months already. That whole fiasco already forced you to file a Leave of Absence last semester... don't you think it's the right time to put an effort into trying to heal yourself?"

Hearing those words sent a dagger to my chest. A knife twisting into my heart, or at least what's left of it. I wanted to reason out that I have been making an effort, I am trying to get my life back together. I wanted to get mad at her for going below the belt, knowing it was a sore topic for me. But then again, this is the first time Julie ever spoke about it. I grew up with her, and I know she rarely dips her feet in the water unless it's necessary.

'Is it really necessary to talk about it now?'

No. Although I do appreciate her concern, she just can't understand me. Moving on isn't an overnight process. The pain lingers, even after months (or years). It's not that easy to rebuild yourself once someone you've built yourself around with suddenly shatters it. At the end of the day, you are left alone to deal with the broken pieces, not knowing how to fit them together because a large chunk of it is already out of your life for good.

I took the cookie and notebook and shoved them into my bag, along with the folded piece of tissue paper with the ghost's message. I took in a deep breath. I just wanna get out of here. Immediately.

"I need to do something."

Julie worriedly eyed me. "Ebony, I'm sorry... but sometimes you just need someone to state the facts, even if it hurts."

I paused.

"Don't you think I already know the 'facts' by now? I've carried that burden for six months, so there's no need to remind me."

Julie outstretched her hand in an attempt to reach me, but she quickly pulled away and sighed. A sad smile on her lips.

"I'll wait until you're ready to talk about this. I'm here for you, you know that right?"

I didn't respond. Instead, I turned my heels and started walking out of the cafeteria, without even touching my lunch. A pang of guilt immediately washed over me as I walked into the hallway, but I quickly pushed that aside. No, I do not want to deal with it right now.

I'm tired and confused and hungry.

'Funny. I might just eat that cookie anyway.'

---