Chapter 30 - 2011 WPS Season

2011 Season

POV: Madds

San Dimas, California

January 14th, 2011

I sat across from Alex on the couch, watching her nervously play with her fingertips. The draft was about to start and she was in it this year. I already knew what was going to happen, seeing as I had her jersey in my bag. The owners of Flash knew that Alex and I were old friends and they asked me to be here, to present her with the contract and the jersey. I was merely waiting for the phone call from Coach Aaron. Alex had been surprised when I showed up last night, but she and her family had welcomed me anyway. Despite Alex wanting me to spill why I had showed up, I had been given very specific instructions on what I was to do and I had not spoken on those instructions.

"You can't give me any hints?" Alex said, glaring at me. "I know that Flash has the first pick, so what do you know?"

I shrugged, with a completely blank face. "I'm just here to celebrate when you get drafted. I don't know anything more than you do."

"I call bullshit." Alex said softly, attempting to smack the back of my head.

"That's not nice." I glared at her playfully. Before I could say much more, the draft began. The commissioner began their speech, very similar to the speech they had said on my own draft day.

"Western New York Flash, you are on the clock." the commissioner said, before stepping away from the podium.

My cell phone rang, which had all eyes on me. I stood and stepped into Alex's kitchen. "Scripps." I answered.

"Hey, it's Aaron, go ahead and talk to Morgan." Coach Aaron said, and I smiled.

"Yes sir." I answered, grabbing my bag. "Did you want to speak to..."

"Yeah, after you give her the jersey." Coach answered. I pulled the phone away from my ear and opened my bag. I grabbed Alex's new jersey, and the contract, and stepped back into the living room.

"Hey Morgan... catch." I tossed the jersey at her and smirked as it flopped against her head.

She pulled it off her face and glared at me before someone spotted the logo on the chest and her name on the back of the jersey.

"FLASH!?!" Mama Morgan said, looking at the jersey. Everyone went quiet for a moment before Alex stood and took in the sight of the jersey.

"Are you serious?" She asked.

"There's someone on the phone for you, Alex." I handed her my phone and waited.

Coach and Alex talked for a moment before Alex smiled brightly and agreed. "Absolutely, I'll see you at practice!"

The call dropped, Alex handed me my phone back. "You... That's why you are here. You came to surprise me."

"I couldn't let the best forward of the draft go to some other team." I shrugged. "Flash has been watching you for a few seasons now, even before I came back to the states."

I pulled her into a hug. It wasn't long until everyone else joined in on the hug. Our attention was once again on the screen as the commissioner spoke up from the podium.

"The choice is in. For the first pick of the 2011 WPS Draft, Western New York Flash has selected Alex Morgan, UC Berkeley, Forward." the commissioner said. "Philadelphia, you are on the clock."

An hour or so went by before I pulled Alex into the kitchen.

"Sorry to pull you away from the celebration, but you have paperwork to fill out. Don't worry, I've already had my lawyer look it over. They are actually giving you a better deal than I got."