Chapter 14

Freen meticulously arranged the last set of decorative pillows on the couch, each adorned with vibrant patterns of Thai silk. The house had never looked more inviting, a blend of her and Becky's worlds. She glanced at the clock, her stomach knotting with nerves. "They'll love you, don't worry," Becky reassured her, wrapping her arms around Freen from behind and planting a gentle kiss on her cheek.

The sound of a car pulling up jolted Freen from her thoughts. "They're here!" Becky exclaimed, her voice a mix of excitement and nerves. Freen took a deep breath, smoothing down her dress before heading to the door.

Robin, Rawee, and Richie greeted them with warm smiles and open arms, enveloping both Freen and Becky in heartfelt embraces. "We've heard so much about you," Rawee said to Freen, her eyes twinkling with kindness. The initial awkwardness melted away as they shared stories and laughter, the afternoon light casting a warm glow through the living room.

As the sun began to set, they decided to continue their evening at a local Thai restaurant known for its authentic cuisine. The atmosphere was lively, with the aroma of spices filling the air and the sound of traditional Thai music playing softly in the background.

They had just ordered their meals when a familiar voice called out, "Becky, is that you?" Turning around, Becky's face lit up with surprise. "Mike!" she exclaimed, as a tall, charismatic man approached their table.

"Mind if I join you?" Mike asked, his gaze flitting to Freen briefly before focusing back on Becky. Without waiting for an objection, he pulled up a chair. Freen watched, her heart sinking slightly as Mike regaled the table with tales of his and Becky's high school adventures. Laughter erupted frequently from everyone but Freen, who felt like an outsider in this suddenly intimate gathering.

Excusing herself to the restroom, Freen's return was halted by the sound of hushed voices near the entrance of the restaurant. Hidden partially behind a decorative plant, she saw Becky and Mike in a secluded corner. "You know I've always had feelings for you, Becky. What do you say we give it another shot?" Mike's voice was earnest.

Becky hesitated, her voice barely audible. "Mike, it's not that simple. I'm with Freen now."Freen's heart thudded painfully in her chest. She retreated quietly, the weight of what she had just heard anchoring her to the spot.

The ride home was tense, with Freen's mind racing and Becky seemingly oblivious to the storm brewing. As soon as they arrived home, Freen couldn't hold back any longer. "Who is Mike, Becky? And why have I never heard about him before tonight?"

Becky's face fell, her eyes widening with realization. "I... I didn't think it was important. He was just a high school crush, Freen. It never meant anything serious."

"But it does to him, and you didn't dismiss him tonight. You hesitated, Becky. That means something." Freen's voice was a mix of hurt and accusation.

Becky stepped forward, her expression pained. "I love you, Freen. Only you. Mike caught me off guard, that's all. Please believe me."

The room felt unbearably tight, the walls echoing with unsaid words and doubts. Freen looked at Becky, her heart torn between her love and the seeds of distrust that had been sown.

"I need some time, Becky," Freen whispered, her voice breaking. Becky reached out, but Freen stepped back, a silent tear trailing down her cheek. "I need to think."

As Freen retreated to their bedroom, closing the door softly behind her, Becky sank onto the couch, her head in her hands. The night ended not with the warmth of family but with the chill of uncertainty, the echoes of the past threatening to overshadow their future.