Love and Loss: Velu's Journey with His Mother

Tamanna's gaze remained on his mother, her own eyes reflecting the pain she saw in Velu's. "But why are you taking care of her alone?" she asked gently. "Where is your wife?"

Velu's hand tightened around his mother's, his knuckles white. "I am not married yet," he replied, his voice barely above a whisper. The weight of his words hung in the air, heavy with the unspoken truth that he had dedicated his life to his mother's care without the support of a partner.

Tamanna felt a twinge of curiosity, but she knew better than to pry. Still, the question slipped out before she could catch it. "Why?" she asked gently.

Velu took a deep, shaky breath. "It's a long story," he began, his eyes never leaving his mother's face. "There were five of us once—my mother, my father, and my two elder brothers. We were a happy family, all of us living together. But when my brothers got married, everything changed." His voice grew softer, the pain of the past etched in every syllable. "Their wives didn't like us. They were always finding fault, always fighting."

He paused, his eyes misting over

He paused, his eyes misting over. "One day, it got so bad that my brothers and their wives left us. They didn't come back, didn't even speak to us again." His knuckles whitened as he gripped his mother's hand tighter. "My father couldn't take it. The stress, the pain of losing his sons—it killed him. He died of a broken heart."

Tamanna's heart ached as she listened to Velu's story. She had never imagined the depth of his sorrow, the weight of his responsibilities. "I'm so sorry," she murmured, reaching out to lay a comforting hand on his shoulder. The warmth of his skin seared through her sports top, a stark reminder of their recent intimacy.

 The warmth of his skin seared through her sports top, a stark reminder of their recent intimacy

Velu nodded, his eyes never leaving his mother's face. "It's been just her and me ever since," he said, his voice heavy with regret. "I couldn't bear the thought of losing her too, so I gave up on the idea of marriage. I didn't want to risk bringing someone into our lives who wouldn't love her as much as I do."

Tamanna's hand remained on his shoulder, her touch offering silent support. "That's incredibly selfless of you," she said, her voice filled with admiration. "Your mother is lucky to have you."

Velu's eyes met hers, the depth of his pain reflected in their dark pools. "It's not selfless," he said, his voice gruff. "It's just what I had to do. I couldn't bear the thought of her being alone."

Tamanna felt a pang of guilt, realizing that she had never truly understood the weight of his burden. Her own life, filled with glamour and adoration, suddenly felt frivolous in comparison. She had always known that there was more to Velu than met the eye, but she had never expected this level of sacrifice.