Chapter 19: 20 weeks

Alright, where are my keys? Autumn fought back a groan as she grabbed her pillows, tossing them to the ground. "Where are they? I know I just had them!" She tapped at her head. "Ugh, this stupid brain. I just had them!" Glancing at her wrist watch, she let out a small sigh. I'm about to be late! Moving to the kitchen, she was shifting through her cabinets when there was a knock on the door.

Wait, someone is here...now? Rushing to the door, she frowned. "Gian? What are you doing here?"

"Hey, I was hoping we could go over the paint samples we picked for your new place."

She glanced at her wrist watch again. "I would love to but I'm going to be so late for my appointment." She turned to her apartment. "And I can't find my keys." She tapped at her forehead. "I think this is the stupid pregnancy brain that Willow was telling me about."

"Well if you need a ride, I can take you."

Autumn's gaze snapped up to Gian. "Are you sure? You don't have an appointment or anything else to do today? I'm not sure how long it'll take."

"Nope, my schedule is clear today."

Autumn let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you." Her hand cupped her stomach. "You're a lifesaver right now. Wait, I need to grab something." Rushing to her room, she glanced around for her phone. "Where is it? Dang it, where is my phone?"

"You need me to call it?"

"Please," she groaned.

Bzzt. She looked down at her pocket. You have got to be kidding me. "I got it!" She pulled her phone out of her pocket. Following Gian into the hallways, she closed the door behind her.

Thankful, the clinic wasn't too far from her place, only making her five minutes late. As she sat down to feel out the paperwork, she glanced up at Gian. "You've been quiet lately." She nudged him gently. "Something on your mind?"

Gian shook his head. "No, no, I'm fine." He glanced at her papers. "Besides, I shouldn't be bothering you about it right now."

"I'm feeling out papers Gian." She tapped the clipboard with her pen. "You're not bothering me at all." Gian glanced at her paperwork again before he released a small sigh. "I haven't really talked to Gabriella since Christmas dinner."

"And you want to talk to her?"

"I don't know." Gian ran a hand down his face. "I said some pretty nasty things." He did. But he didn't need to know she overheard them.

"Remember what I told you early about not having a father in my life? It's not easy, Gian, but she's trying and that's what matters." She grabbed his hand, enticing their fingers. "And Meadow has you and her family. It may not seem like that now, but as she grows up, she will learn to appreciate the people who took time to actually want to be in her life."

Like I was slowly starting to do. "But you were also the one who told me to talk to my mom."

His lips pulled into a small smile. "I did."

"So, I think it's only right that I tell you to talk to your sister." She squeezed his hand. "But only when you're ready."

Gian's gaze softened before he pressed a kiss against her hand. "What would I do without you?"

Autumn's heart flipped. Not even a second longer, someone else flipped, causing her to grip her stomach.

"Autumn?"

At her name, she stood up and grabbed her purse. A glance back at Gian had her hesitating. Would it be so wrong to invite him? He was the father, even if he didn't exactly know it. "Would you like to come with me?"