chap 2. john

I'm back at Belleview, I do have to say for the most part for my grandma Stormy, but there is a part of me that is going there to see how Lara Jean turned out. She's always been so sweet, so different and unique but in a good way.

A really, really good way.

When I show up I see her, her hair is in a fishtail braid and she's wearing these old fashioned shoes with a black dress and a denim jacket.

She's carrying boxes and I'm staring at her, but I can't help it.

She looks so different, so much older, so much more mature.

"John Ambrose McClaren?" Lara says as my gaze meets her eyes and sees staring at me, I do that awkward dad wave and I smile.

"That's me alright." I say with a smile, she places the boxes down and walks over to me, "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I'm volunteering but, my grandma also lives here, you probably know her, Stormy." I say and as soon as my grandmas name leaves my mouth her eyes flash with recognition, "Yes, yes I know Stormy." Lara says with a laugh.

"How could I not?" Lara says and I laugh too, her laugh is so cute, it's so contagious.

And her smile, the way her nose scrunches up and her lips curve.

It's beautiful.

"Yeah yeah anyways.." I say to get me out of my love filled daze.

"I thought I told you I was volunteering here?" Lara says and she picks the boxes up again and starts to walk towards the cafeteria.

I follow her, "Well. Yeah you did, which I have to admit is another reason why I'm here." I say and I feel my cheeks get warm and I faint smile appears on her face.

"Stalker much?" Lara teases and I shake my head, "No, no of course not! I just wanted to see how you turned out." I say and Lara smiles as she does a 360.

"And how did I turn out? In the mind of the smart, quiet, John Ambrose McClaren." She says as she crosses her arms and stares at me.

"Perfectly- I mean, like you seem so mature, like you grew up, you know.. I mean we all did, and we haven't seen each other since middle school." I say and Lara shrugs.

"Well actually- we saw eachother at Model UN last year." She says and I nod slowly.

"Ohh yeah.. why were you there by the way? I mean you were there for a few minutes and then you practically ran out." I ask

"Oh.. honestly, I went there to see you." Lara says and I look at her confused.

"Wait why?" I ask and she closes her eyes and smiles as she shrugs, "I wanted to see how you turned out- I mean, I had the biggest crush on you in middle school so-" Lara says and I smile at her.

"Really?" I ask and she nods, "Yeah yeah but that was a long time ago so." She replies and I shrug.

"Yeah, yeah it was. I'm just surprised you didn't tell me, I liked you then too." I say and Lara Jean's eyes widen in surprise and she laughs.

"W-what?! Why didn't you tell me?" She stuttered slightly, "Because you were like head over heels in love with Peter." I say and she giggles and shakes her head.

"How do you even know that?" She asks as she sits down at a table in the cafeteria and I follow behind her.

"Because when we were playing spin the bottle that one time your eyes were onto it like this." I say and I make a laser like face towards her, and she giggles.

"Stop I was not! How did you even notice that!" She giggles with a huge grin on her face, and I smile, "Because I was doing the same thing." I say and she laughs again.

"You were staring at Peter?" She says playfully and I shake my head and smile, "No, I was staring at you." I say and her eyes widen slightly and she smiles faintly.

And then my phone starts to ring and I look down at it, it's Stass. I'll answer it later it's fine..

"Who is that?" Lara asks and I turn my phone off, "Nothing important." I reply and she nods.

She looks down at the watch on her wrist and sighs, "I gotta get home." She says and I nod my head slowly.

"Do you need a ride?" I ask and she shakes her head, "no, no it's fine but thank you." She says as she stands up.

"It was nice talking to you." I say and I stand up with her.

She starts to walk away, but before she fully leaves the door she turns around and waves at me.

"Bye pen partner." She says and I smile, "Bye pen pal." I say back and she turns back around and walks off.

Her hair swaying at her waist as she walks, her skirt moving with every motion of her legs, how her vintage shoes clank on the floor.

I smile to myself, as I glance over at my grandma Stormy, who is staring at me with a smirk on her face as she takes a quick drag from her cigarette.

I stand up and walk over to her, "how long have you been staring?" I ask and she shrugs, "enough to know."

"Know what?" I ask and she shrugs, as she takes another drag from her cigarette before crushing it with her foot, "That you're in love with her." Stormy says and my eyes widen, and my lips part slightly.

"Inlove? I think you're overreacting." I say and she shakes her head, "or underreacting." She replies.

As Stormy walks off the sound of my heart pounding is playing in my head.