FOUR | COMPROMISES

I sat in my usual seat in the geography classroom waiting for the teacher to begin the class.

My head was down doodling in the corner of my notebook when someone sat down next to me.

I looked to my right when I saw my ex-boyfriend, Tristan sitting in the seat right by me, a large grin on his face.

"What are you doing?" I asked him with an incredulous look on my face.

"This is my new seat." He said simply, still grinning at me making my eyes narrow at him.

"Ugh, please sit somewhere else," I said as I dropped my head into my hands.

"Can't, sorry," he spoke while shrugging, his tone casual but with a hint of amusement.

I groaned inwardly, peeking at him through my fingers. Why did he have to sit next to me, of all people? The tension between us was palpable, the unresolved issues and lingering feelings creating a thick, uncomfortable atmosphere.

"Just...try not to get on my nerves, okay?" I muttered, trying to focus on setting up my notebook and textbook for the class.

"Sure, whatever you say," he replied, his tone light, but I could sense the underlying sarcasm. He started pulling out his own books, his movements deliberate and unhurried.

As the teacher began the lesson, I struggled to pay attention, my mind constantly drifting. His presence was a constant distraction, an annoying one. I could feel his occasional glances in my direction, each one sending a jolt of irritation and unease through me.

About halfway through the class, he leaned over slightly, whispering, "So, did you hear about Rick?"

Rick was one of Tristan's old friends and the person that we usually went to for drugs. Back when I was dating Tristan he was able to get them for us for free but since we'd broken up I had to go straight to Rick for them.

I tensed, my pen pausing mid-sentence. "No," I muttered under my breath, not wanting to engage but also too curious to ignore him. "What about him?"

He leaned in closer, his voice barely audible. "He got caught dealing. The Police don't have any hard evidence of possession and he's got a really good lawyer,"

So that's why he hadn't been answering my texts.

"Seriously?" I whispered back, momentarily forgetting my resolve to avoid conversation with him. "What am I going to do?" I muttered under my breath.

Now that my dad had confiscated all of my stuff, I needed Rick badly and he had been arrested. Great.

"I can get you what you need though," He said, a smirk playing on his lips.

"How?" I asked, looking at him suspiciously.

"Friend of a friend," he answered nonchalantly while shrugging. "It's gonna cost you though." he said, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

Understanding what he meant I scrunched my face up in disgust as I said "I'm not hooking up with you."

"That's not what i meant" he whispered as the smirk was wiped off his face.

"Sure," I deadpanned, knowing that was exactly what he had meant. "Can you have it by this afternoon?"

"Write me a list and I'll see what I can do," he said, smiling at me.

I turned to the back of my geography notebook, ripped out a page and began to scribble down exactly what I needed based on what my dad had taken from me.

After compiling my list, I slid the piece of paper over to him and watched as he read it.

His brows raised as he said, "Woah, this is a lot" his voice laced with concern.