EIGHT | SQUARE ONE

My heart immediately sank as I took in the smug expression on her face in response to the clear look of shock she had on mine.

I hesitated for a moment, debating whether to turn around and leave. But unfortunately there was no avoiding this because she was standing right in front of my car.

"Claire," I said, my voice sounding more steady than I felt. "What are you doing here?"

She looked up at me, her brown eyes filled with an emotion I couldn't quite place. "Hey, Mia. I've missed you."

I sighed, narrowing my eyes at the audacity of her statement. "I told you I didn't want to see you."

How could she genuinely stand there and say that she missed me when she was the one who had broken up with me in the first place?

She made no sense.

"I know, but this is important," she insisted, stepping closer. "Please, just hear me out."

I rubbed my temples, already feeling the beginnings of a headache. "It's been eight months, what could you possibly have to say to me?"

She took a deep breath, looking down at the ground for a moment before meeting my eyes again. "I know, and I'm sorry...but aren't you over that now?"

"Over it?" I echoed, my voice tinged with disbelief. "Claire, I am over it, but then you show up at my school like nothing happened!"

"I know it seems that way," she said, her voice breaking slightly. "But there's more to it, don't you care enough about me to hear me out?"

My blood boiled as I saw straight through her clear attempt at manipulating me.

I opened my mouth to respond, but the words caught in my throat. Did I still care about her? No. I finally moved on.

"No," I said, shaking my head. "I don't want to hear you out."

Her expression hardened, a flash of anger crossing her face. "You're not going to hear me out?"

I stepped back, shaking my head. "No," I repeated yet again. "I'm over your drama,"

I turned to leave, but she grabbed my arm, her grip firm. "Mia, wait. You can't just walk away."

"Yes I can," I snapped, trying to pull my arm free. "Let go of me."

"Mia, please," she begged, her voice breaking. "I need your help."

I was about to respond when a voice interrupted us. "Is everything okay over here?"

I turned to see Miss Beaumont walking towards us, her expression concerned. Relief washed over me. "Miss Beaumont," I said, grateful for the interruption. "Everything's fine. Just... saying goodbye."

Claire looked between us, her expression conflicted. "I'll be back," she said quietly before turning and walking away.

I watched her go, feeling relieved. Miss Beaumont stepped closer, her eyes searching mine. "Are you alright?"

I nodded, forcing a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for the save."

Miss Beaumont didn't move. Instead, she glanced in the direction Claire had gone. "Who was that?" she asked, her tone curious but with a hint of something else.

"No one," I said quickly

She arched her brow at me expectantly as if she knew there was more to the story.

I hesitated, unsure how much to reveal. "That was Claire... my ex-girlfriend."

"Ex-girlfriend?" Miss Beaumont repeated, raising an eyebrow. "Interesting."