"santa, tell me, if you're really there" - lucy

Winter break was looming over me my whole shift. It was just in the cells of the air, and also adorned the mall. In the same fashion everyone at school had waited for the last bell earlier today, I was keen to be able to finally clock out. Aside from maybe two encounters, today overall had been painfully slow at the Hot Topic. So much so even acknowledging that there was barely any business felt taxing and monotonous. 

I was, of course, still going to be working some over break- but it would feel more fun. Holiday festivities - which our store had independently organized- were in action for the next few weeks. We'd been quite delayed to the seasonal trend, other stores had winter stuff out for months. In the end, everyone concluded it was the thought that mattered the most. 

One trend we were never late to was Halloween- since my manager was such an enthusiast. Merch would fly onto the shelves the minute it seemed like the fleeting late summer had begun. As it got colder, the costume-y accessories would stay, there was no thing such a "off-season" for them, that is until the weeks surrounding winter break. Though, I couldn't tell if the final transition from fall decorations was done begrudgingly. 

A lot of stores weren't open that much longer, but Hot Topic still had a few more hours to go. I wait for the next worker to come in, which isn't long- he's punctual. Spike and I had a comically complex history of relationships and aloofness, which is why we so commonly made jokes of it. On the hour he walks in, with such a stride he manages to make the glass display of backpacks look like an ornate entryway. He's carrying a teal paper bag, rolled closed at the top. I can't really tell what it is until he gets closer. 

"'Got you pretzels," Spike announcers, extending the bag outward. I thank him as I look through the bag, it's my favorite order- salted pretzel bites and cream cheese dip- and I'm hugely grateful for it. The surprise distracts from the sluggish quality of the day.

Before I really know it, I'm nearly out the door. The two of us have perfected the shift change to where it's like machinery. The words exchanged each time depended on our interpersonal standings. Right now they were good - an emphasis on the "now". 

I track through the mall, looking for something to do. Even though I work here, I don't think I tire of the place. The vibrant red and green of the mall's center catches my eye. A velvet chair sits regal atop the rug that matches it, but it's empty- a white mailbox with false snow inheriting its purpose. 

I decide to fill a letter in, perhaps I never got too old to send my wants Santa's way. It a letter written half- heartedly, with the green crayon provided. The paper's decorative with snowflakes on its border. The envelope too, has art on it- snow angels on a pale green base. 

I'd asked for three simple things. The one I wrote down first being to live as if in a song. A holiday one would be nice- just not one that concluded tragically. I felt this winter break would be mine, to take and remember. It seemed to magically begin to snow, inside. Flurries spin down like dancers to the carpet below, where the colors contrast.I look up to see the source to find out that the effects machine was just turned back on, and elves have started to set up again. The realization leaves me feeling foolish. As to not block the line, I move away from the mailbox and spiraling tree over to the exit, half of my pretzels still left. A new light feeling replacing the looming. It felt like winter had truly begun.