chapter 4

- growing closer

over the next few weeks, tsukishima and yamaguchi see each other often. their casual hangouts at the café turn into exploring new places together—record stores, bookstores, and even a few more of yamaguchi's gigs. with each meeting, tsukishima feels more at ease, and he starts looking forward to their time together.

one saturday afternoon, they decide to visit a local park. the sun is bright, and a gentle breeze rustles the leaves as they stroll along the paths, talking about everything from their favorite bands to their childhood memories.

"so, what's with the piercings?" tsukishima asks, curiosity getting the better of him. "they suit you, but they're a lot."

yamaguchi laughs, a light sound that makes tsukishima's chest feel warm. "i guess i just like how they look. it's kind of my way of expressing myself, you know? my parents were pretty strict when i was younger, so once i had the freedom, i went all out."

"i get that," tsukishima says, nodding. "my parents were pretty strict too, but i guess i rebelled in different ways."

"like what?" yamaguchi asks, tilting his head in curiosity.

"i used to stay up all night reading instead of studying. my grades were always good, but my parents didn't like that i wasn't following their plan exactly," tsukishima admits.

"funny how we all find our ways to rebel," yamaguchi says with a grin. "speaking of, do you want to do something a bit more rebellious today?"

"like what?" tsukishima asks, intrigued.

"there's this hidden graffiti spot near here. it's where a lot of local artists go to paint. it's technically off-limits, but it's really cool. want to check it out?"

"why not?" tsukishima replies, feeling a thrill of excitement.

they make their way to the spot, navigating through a series of narrow alleys until they reach a secluded area covered in vibrant graffiti. tsukishima is amazed by the sheer talent on display, each piece telling its own story.

"this is incredible," he says, eyes wide as he takes in the art.

"i know, right?" yamaguchi says, leaning against a wall. "i come here sometimes to clear my head. it's like a hidden sanctuary."

they sit down on a bench, the colorful walls surrounding them. the conversation turns deeper, more personal. yamaguchi talks about his dreams for the band, his fears, and his hopes. tsukishima finds himself opening up too, sharing his own doubts and aspirations.

as the afternoon turns to evening, there's a comfortable silence between them. yamaguchi looks at tsukishima, his expression softening.

"i'm really glad we met," yamaguchi says quietly. "i feel like i can be myself around you."

"me too," tsukishima admits, feeling a strange mix of vulnerability and happiness. "it's been a while since i've felt this way."

yamaguchi reaches out, hesitating for a moment before taking tsukishima's hand. tsukishima's heart skips a beat, but he doesn't pull away. instead, he squeezes yamaguchi's hand gently, a silent acknowledgment of the connection they share.

they sit like that for a while, hands entwined, the world around them fading away. in that moment, tsukishima realizes just how much yamaguchi means to him, and he feels a sense of contentment he hasn't felt in a long time.

as they walk back to the main road, yamaguchi's hand still in his, tsukishima knows their relationship is growing into something special. he's excited to see where it will lead, but for now, he's happy just to be in this moment with yamaguchi.