Ch. 07: Butterflies and Broken Records

。゚。゚

Edison's POV

I hate that Fritz is always talking to Ethan. Ever since I arrived at Willowbrook, I've wanted to spend time with my childhood best friend. The main reason I chose to study here is because of her, but I can't bring myself to admit it. I lied, saying I had some other purpose, pretending she wasn't part of the reason.

Watching them practice for the upcoming singing contest, they looked like a couple. The way they laughed together while strumming their guitars and singing "Opposites Attract" made my chest tighten with a mix of jealousy and regret.

I couldn't stand it anymore and just walked out of the Dean's office. I didn't want to see them being so sweet to each other. I love Fritz more than just as a childhood best friend.

When I walked out, my thoughts were all over the place, and I couldn't help but think about inappropriate things. So many "what ifs" were running through my mind. What if they're kissing inside the Dean's office? What if they're now boyfriend and girlfriend?

I suddenly went back inside and saw that they were still practicing the song "Opposites Attract."

Relief washed over me, cool and unexpected, like a summer breeze chasing away a sudden downpour. They weren't a couple. Yet. My grip loosened on the doorknob, the urge to barge back in and declare my feelings momentarily forgotten. Shame burned in my throat. What kind of friend eavesdrops on their practice session?

Fritz looked up then, her smile catching on me like a stray melody. It faltered just a touch, replaced by a questioning frown. Maybe she'd noticed my earlier exit. I forced a smile, hoping it didn't look too strained.

"Hey," I said, pushing the door open wider. "Just needed a refill on my water bottle. Didn't mean to interrupt."

Fritz's frown softened, replaced by a playful glint. "Interrupt what, exactly? We were just butchering this classic," she said, holding up her guitar.

Ethan nudged her playfully. "Hey! Show some respect for Paula Abdul!"

I chuckled, relieved to see the familiar dynamic between them. Maybe I'd been overreacting. Maybe their friendship was just...comfortable. A stark contrast to the nervous knot twisting in my gut whenever I was around Fritz.

"So," I said, trying to sound casual, "how's the song coming along?"

"It's...well, it's definitely a challenge," Fritz admitted, strumming a hesitant chord. "Ethan here keeps insisting on adding these crazy riffs that throw me off."

"Hey," Ethan protested, feigning hurt, "they add character!"

They bickered playfully, the way they always did. A familiar pang of longing hit me. I yearned to be part of their easy banter, to be the one making Fritz laugh like that.

"Maybe you guys need a break?" I suggested. "Grab some snacks, clear your heads?"

Fritz hesitated, then glanced at Ethan. "Yeah, maybe that's not a bad idea. What do you say, Eth?"

"Sounds good to me," Ethan agreed. "Lead the way, snack master Edison."

As we walked out of the office, I stole a glance at Fritz. 

I know Fritz thinks I have a girlfriend—Maisie. But Maisie and I were just pretending. Does Fritz have feelings for me, too, like the way I feel about her? Or am I the only one who likes her, and she doesn't feel the same way?