28.

Heoh invites Milly to sit at the big desk in his little office. Photographs of Paris hang on the walls next to Vietnamese watercolor folk art. Gold dragon figurines perch on a bookshelf.

"Milly, we'll suspend your interest payments while you train with us. Once you work, you'll get paid. Half goes to your debt. The other half is yours."

"How long is training?"

"Depends on you. You'll witness rough stuff, but keep your hands and your record clean. We'll try to reserve you for subtlety that requires your special nature. This role is called: the face. Do you understand what I mean by this?"

"I think so."

"I doubt that," he says with a wry chuckle. "But you'll learn."

"So mysterious ..."

"Agreed. Keep what you see to yourself. If you must tell someone, tell me. You can quit, but you can never come back. You'll begin with Bingo and Turtle."

Milly groans. "Are you serious?"

"How's your gut?"

"Fine.🎵"

"See? You got over it. They'll get over it. Their street-level bullshit is not where you belong, but it's where you start."

"Who are you people, really?" Milly shrugs. "What's this called?"

"Later ..."

She stretches her neck towards her photo, displayed on his computer screen.

"It's my job to research you," Heoh says. "Not much online. That's good. This your son?"

"No."

"Also good. Do you want to do this?"

"Can I think about it this time?"

"Of course. I respect your decision."

"You don't know my decision."

Heoh offers a soft smile and extends his hand. "Does that matter?"

"I guess not"—she sighs—"with you. Thanks for that, at least."

He nods. They shake.

After the gymnasium door shuts behind her, the Boss approaches. "I said to bring her in. Didn't you remind her? Her next payment is due soon."

"I believe she knows that," Heoh says. "Give her time."