32. Age Twenty-Three

In the morning, Milly startles awake. She checks her phone, browsing past Ethan's message. Milly peruses the rental market on his side of town. Her lips arch into a frown.

She adjusts her phone settings: no voice commands, AI subdued, and listening off. "I wonder how those two will take this?" As coffee brews, she fires off a secure text as MILYUNZ.

— Yes. When can I start?

In moments like this, a glimpse of who Milly's thinking about may become available — if they have thoughts of her, too. Always brief, the connection is as hard to explain as it is to travel, but often worth the effort.

Across town, alone in his office, Heoh's phone lights up as he plops the satchel on his desk. "I hope she can handle this." He sighs as Milly's message disappears. "I hope I can, too."

Heoh's face falls — with sadness — why?

After a jog, Milly removes her filter mask and showers. As she opens the sliding glass door of her porch, the positive air pressure of her condo keeps the smoke outside at bay. A drone delivered a package overnight. Milly grabs it, stuffs it into the shopping bag, and takes the elevator down to a conference room.

A table holds gifts. Holograms glimmer on the wall.

— HAPPY RENEWAL

— HAPPY RENEWAL

The cake-cutting caterer offers a plate.

Milly refuses. "Too much sugar."

Meghan waves. "I brought your card! I didn't open it."

"I brought your things." Milly sets down the bag.

The manager taps a glass of champagne. "Meghan, we're celebrating your fifth year as a co-owner of our building." While they rattle on about the protection sealed buildings offer against the environment, Milly swaps yesterday's greeting card on the table with the card from her purse.

The slideshow touts their Refer-a-Friend program.

Sitting in the back row, Milly's face goes blank.

Every inch clothed in white cotton, even her hands and face, young Milly sat cross-legged underneath a stone outcropping

Every inch clothed in white cotton, even her hands and face, young Milly sat cross-legged underneath a stone outcropping. She'd kept her hat on in the shade.

By accepting more refugees, Father had crowded the Homestead with nearly a thousand followers. But Milly had her own room by then, tiny though it was.

As the sun dropped over the desert, she blew fine dust off her sunglasses.

Something moved in the haze rising from the sand.

She snapped the rifle to her shoulder, eye meshing with the scope, and fired once without hesitation.

Her fingers dotted the air, noting landmarks where the rabbit had fallen. She pulled back her scarf, opened a dented metal water bottle, and took the last sip. Cocking her head back, Milly yipped like a coyote, then watched the sunset.

That was her fifteenth birthday.

The envelope tears open.

Milly startles.

Meghan giggles. "Did they put you to sleep?" She reads the card aloud: "Thank you for being a friend."

Milly taps the envelope. "A mixtape's inside."

"I haven't heard that term in years!" Meghan grips a tiny chip in her shaking fingers. "Thank you. And thanks for tolerating that speech."

"Congratulations. I've always wanted to own a home ..."

"At least the champagne's real, but Milly, the cake gets smaller every year and fees get bigger."

"Oh ..."

"Be careful what you ask for." Meghan drops the chip.

Milly retrieves it. "I'll help you load this sometime."

Back in her apartment, Milly slides in another piece of her puzzle: Godzilla's eye. A second corner has formed. A text arrives.

Tomorrow, same place: HQ. Same time ~ Hi0

Milly places the swapped envelope containing Heoh's address on her desk. "Just in case."