New Realities

Pond's eyes fluttered open, and the sterile, unfamiliar surroundings of the hospital room came into focus. The last thing he remembered was the screeching of tires and the terrifying impact that followed. As he tried to sit up, a sharp pain shot through his body, and he let out a groan.

"Easy there," a gentle voice said. Pond turned his head to see Dunk sitting by his bedside, his expression filled with concern. Dunk had been his best friend for years, but something about his demeanor seemed different now.

"Dunk? What's going on?" Pond asked, his voice raspy.

"You were in an accident," Dunk replied, squeezing Pond's hand reassuringly. "But you're going to be okay. Just rest for now."

Pond's eyes roamed the room, taking in the faces around him. He saw an older man who looked remarkably like Win Metawin, but with a maturity and worry in his eyes that seemed out of place. Beside him stood Ohm and Nanon, two of Pond's coworkers who, in his reality, were embroiled in a bitter feud. Here, however, they looked cozy and content, with a three-year-old boy clinging to Nanon's leg.

Pond's head spun with confusion. "Phi Win?" he asked, looking at the older version of his friend.

The man, Win, smiled warmly. "Yes, it's me, son. I'm so glad you're awake. We were so worried about you."

Son? Pond's mind struggled to process the information. He looked to Dunk for answers, but Dunk simply smiled and said, "Hey, why did you call your own father 'Phi' or something?"

Win nodded, stepping aside to allow the doctor to approach. Ohm, who had been standing quietly, suddenly spoke up. "I'm going to call our other brother and our dad to inform them about this situation," he said, looking at Pond with a mixture of relief and concern.

"Brother?" Pond echoed, his confusion growing deeper.

"Yes, you're my brother," Ohm said gently. "Just relax for now. Everything will be explained."

As Ohm left the room, Nanon stayed behind, keeping a comforting hand on Win's shoulder. "Don't worry, Pa," he said softly. "Everything will be fine."

The doctor conducted a thorough check-up, shining lights in Pond's eyes and asking him a series of questions. After a few minutes, the doctor turned to the family and said, "It appears that Pond might be experiencing amnesia. This isn't uncommon after a traumatic incident like the one he went through. With time and support, his memories may return."

Win's face fell, and he looked on the verge of tears. "Amnesia? Will he be okay?"

The doctor nodded reassuringly. "Physically, he's healing well. The amnesia may be temporary. It's important to give him time and a supportive environment."

Ohm returned to the room, his face etched with worry. "I've informed them. They'll be here soon."

While Nanon comforted Win, Dunk stayed close to Pond, speaking softly with the doctor about the best ways to support his recovery. Pond felt a surge of gratitude for his friend's unwavering presence but couldn't shake the disorienting feeling that everything was wrong.

As the doctor left, Dunk turned back to Pond. "Just rest for now," he said gently. "We're all here for you."

Pond lay back, his mind racing with questions. How could Win be his father? How were Ohm and Nanon a couple with a child? And why did Dunk seem so different? He closed his eyes, hoping that rest would bring some clarity. But deep down, he feared that nothing would ever make sense again.