Unforgotten Past

EnCee's resolve to stay away from Daisy didn't last long. The more he tried to avoid her, the more their paths seemed to cross. It was as if fate refused to let him slip back into the shadows without a fight. One afternoon, while walking through the city, he saw her at a small café, sitting alone and sipping coffee. She was reading a book, completely absorbed, and the sight of her brought a warmth to his chest that he hadn't felt in a long time.

Without thinking, EnCee walked into the café and approached her table. "Mind if I join you?"

Daisy looked up, surprised but pleased to see him. "EnCee! Of course, sit down."

He took a seat across from her, trying to mask the turmoil inside him with a casual smile. "What are you reading?"

"It's a romance novel," Daisy said, blushing slightly. "Guilty pleasure."

EnCee chuckled, the sound foreign to his own ears. "Sounds interesting."

As they talked, EnCee found himself relaxing, the heaviness of his world momentarily lifting. Daisy had that effect on him-making him forget, if only for a little while, the darkness that surrounded him.

After they finished their coffee, they decided to take a walk along the river. The sun was setting, casting a golden glow over the water. They strolled in comfortable silence for a while, just enjoying each other's company.

"EnCee," Daisy began hesitantly, "I've been meaning to ask you something."

He turned to her, his expression serious. "What is it?"

"Why do you always seem so... burdened?" Daisy asked, her eyes searching his. "Like you're carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders."

EnCee sighed, his heart aching with the knowledge of the secrets he kept from her. "It's complicated, Daisy. There are things in my past, things I can't change."

"You can tell me," she said softly. "I want to help."

EnCee looked at her, the sincerity in her eyes almost breaking his resolve. But he couldn't drag her into his world. "Maybe someday," he said, his voice thick with emotion. "But not now."

Daisy nodded, accepting his answer with a patience that made him feel both grateful and guilty. They continued their walk, the silence between them filled with unspoken words and hidden feelings.

That evening, EnCee received another call from Vito. He was needed at the bar for an urgent meeting. As he walked in, the usual crowd parted, their eyes following him with a mix of respect and fear.

"EnCee," Vito called out from a private booth. "Over here."

EnCee approached, his face a mask of calm. "What's up?"

"We've got a problem," Vito said, sliding a photo across the table. "This guy's been snooping around, asking too many questions. We need to deal with him."

EnCee looked at the photo, his stomach turning. It was a local journalist, someone who had been writing about organized crime in the city. "I'll take care of it."

Vito's eyes narrowed. "Make sure you do. We can't afford any more loose ends."

EnCee nodded, his mind already working on a plan. He left the bar, the weight of his task pressing down on him. But unlike the last time, this felt different. This wasn't just about survival; it was about protecting the fragile connection he had with Daisy.

The next day, EnCee ran into Daisy at a bookstore. She was browsing through a collection of poetry, her face lighting up as she saw him.

"EnCee! What a surprise," she said, smiling.

"Hey, Daisy," he replied, feeling a warmth spread through him at the sight of her. "What are you looking at?"

"Just some poetry," she said, holding up a book. "Do you like poetry?"

"I've never really read much of it," EnCee admitted.

"Here," Daisy said, handing him the book. "This one's my favorite."

EnCee took the book, flipping through the pages. "Maybe I'll give it a try."

They spent the next hour wandering through the bookstore, talking about their favorite books and authors. EnCee found himself opening up even more, sharing stories from his childhood that he hadn't thought about in years.

As they left the store, Daisy turned to him. "Would you like to have dinner with me tonight? I know a great little place nearby."

EnCee hesitated, knowing he should keep his distance, but the thought of spending more time with her was too tempting. "Sure, I'd like that."

They had dinner at a cozy Italian restaurant, the atmosphere warm and inviting. They talked and laughed, the barriers between them slowly breaking down. EnCee found himself wanting to tell her everything, to let her in completely. But he knew he couldn't. Not yet.

Later that night, as EnCee walked Daisy home, they stopped outside her apartment. "Thank you for tonight, Daisy. I had a great time."

"Me too," she said, her eyes sparkling. "I'm glad we're getting to know each other better."

"Me too," EnCee replied, feeling a mixture of happiness and sadness. He knew he couldn't keep this up forever, but for now, he wanted to hold onto these moments.

As he walked away, he felt his phone vibrate. It was a message from Vito: *Deal with the journalist. Now.*

EnCee felt a cold dread settle in his stomach. He knew what he had to do. With a heavy heart, he made his way to the journalist's apartment, his mind filled with the memory of Daisy's smile.EnCee couldn't finish his thought, but Daisy's hand on his brought him back to reality. He sighed, feeling the weight of his double life pressing down on him. "Daisy, I..."

His phone buzzed again. A message from Vito: *No excuses. Deal with it now.*

EnCee's expression hardened. "I have to go."

Daisy looked hurt but nodded. "Okay. Just... promise me you'll be safe?"

He managed a small, sad smile. "I promise."

He left her there, his heart torn between his duty and his growing feelings for her. The momentary peace he felt in her presence was overshadowed by the darkness that awaited him.