Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Ch. 11: One Year

Clark's POV

"What if we extended our arrangement beyond the retreat?" Elias asks.

"Hold that thought." I steer Elias away from the crowd and take him to a secluded corner of the room where we can't be overheard. "Are you sure about this, Elias?" I ask, unable to hide my surprise. "I thought you'd be eager to end the lies and get back to living your life."

"This is a job for both of us, Clark. And a great paying job for me," he says. "If you look at it from my point of view, you'll understand why we still need to keep up appearances after this retreat ends."

"Explain."

"Think about it. We've spent the entire week parading our relationship in front of Ava. If we break up right after, don't you think it'll raise suspicions?"

"Possibly, I guess."

"Plus, if she invites you to another event or whatever, wouldn't it be easier to have me by your side rather than starting from scratch with someone new?"

As his words sink in, I realize he's absolutely right. Having him by my side until a contract with Ava is signed will make everything so much simpler.

But, if I'm being completely honest with myself, it's not just about the convenience.

Spending more time with Elias, getting to know him even better beyond the silly workshops of this stupid retreat, is too tempting to resist. Ava is already halfway on board, so how much harm would it be for me to be just a little selfish with Elias? I've never felt this drawn to someone before. The thought of letting him walk away for good leaves me feeling like it'll be a massive mistake, even if he only looks at me as a job needing to be completed.

"Well, don't leave me hanging. What do you think?" He tugs on my sleeve, his lips arched into a half-smile. "I can almost hear the wheels churning in your big head."

"I beg your pardon," I laugh with him. "Seriously, though. I think you're absolutely right. Until the deal with Ava is finalized, it'll be easier to keep you around." I pause, contemplating my next words. "I think we should extend the arrangement to one year. Contract negotiations can take a while, so I want to make sure we have enough time to see this through properly."

Elias' eyes widen slightly, but he nods in agreement. "I can do a year."

"Perfect." Relief washes over me, followed by a trickle of excitement. "Okay, so here's what I'm thinking. You'll continue playing the role of my boyfriend. We'll act so in public, attend events, do whatever is necessary to cement my relationship with Ava and secure her investment."

"And payment for my amazing services?" He smirks, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. "How will that work out?"

"Easy. I'll fund your lifestyle for the duration of our arrangement. After we get everything on paper, I'll give you a credit card to use, no limit, so you won't have to worry about money or—"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Elias holds up his hands, shaking his head. "You don't have to fund my entire lifestyle, Clark. We're stepping into sugar baby territory here, and I didn't sign up for that. I have a business, remember? I make my own money just fine. Let's think of something else."

"This really is the only way, Elias. I'm sorry if it makes you uncomfortable, and I didn't mean to offend you." I sigh, running a hand through my hair. This is all new to me, too. Trying to figure out the right thing to say is like trying to make my way through a minefield blindfolded. "Listen, if we're going to remain a couple, then you can't accept any more dates from Rent a Partner. You'll have to quit that job, Elias, which means you'll lose that income."